Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
mts

Another one bites the dust - probable IMS issue

My 2004 (with 20k) miles started making the dreaded IMS noise this weekend. Luckily I was able to shut it off within about a mile of first noticing the noise. I'm towing it down to Jake Raby to get the experts view on it.

That sad thing is I had already been talking to Jake about doing the IMS upgrade along with a 3.2 -> 3.6 upgrade this winter. Now if the motor can be salvaged I'm looking at the cost of the IMS upgrade now + the cost of the 3.2 - > 3.6 this winter or proceeding with the 3.2 -> 3.6 now and basically being without the car for nearly all the rest of 2010 (the IMS service can be done quickly while the 3.2 -> 3.6 rebuild takes a long time).

I'm pretty bummed about it. Oh well, the car sure does make a pretty paper weight.

2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #2

hopefully no real damage was done.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #3

Hope it works out well...

Out of curiosity, what sound did you hear when this happened?

I need more Cowbell!
Yoadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
mts

Sort of a metal on metal sound, not too much different than a really bad "engine knock" sound if that makes any sense.
1997 911 Targa (sold)
Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #5

sorry to hear about your possible loss

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #6

What is your mileage? Oil change intervals?

Original Owner? Oil brand used? Did you just take it out of storage?

Last edited by mikefocke; 04-12-2010 at 11:22 AM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
mts

I've had the car for about 3years and am the 2nd owner. I got the car with just shy of 15k on the clock and it has a little over 20k miles now. The first owner did all the work through Brumos Porsche and had 3 annual oil changes with Mobil 1 0w-40, basically with each oil change covering about 4,000 to 6,000 miles on the car.

I change the oil every 6 months with Redline 5w-40. Each change covers roughly 1,000 miles.

Yes, the car had recently been pulled out of storage. It had been driven maybe 40-50 miles over a few days before this issue.
1997 911 Targa (sold)
Old 04-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #8

The more I think about it the more I think it really isn't worth it to wait for a clutch change to do the IMS upgrade. You're just saving some money but its costing you a lot more if your number comes up. Although you had very low miles it just goes to show that for the small unlucky segment that suffers this fate...it can come at any time. My car is undergoing the upgrade now (along with a bunch of other things...lots of $ and time). I'm sorta glad the clutch went a little earlier than I imagined. I probably would have put off the IMS job.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #9

mts - what a bummer for you, we feel your pain man........
Keep us informed what Jake's prognosis is - you never know, if your lucky the problem could be just a shot water pump !!
Old 04-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
mts

The ironic thing is I put off the 3.2 -> 3.6 deal right now because it meant I would be without the car from 4/1 to about 6/15 this year......the spring time in this area is the best time to have a Boxster. I opted for possibly next winter instead.

Now this happens and Jake can't even look at it until early June because he's already booked, so instead of the car already being down there being worked on right now knowing I'll get it back in June, it's going to sit in my garage until June before I can even get a definative diagnosis.

I guess as the saying goes.....$hit happens.
1997 911 Targa (sold)
Old 04-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #11

Very sorry to hear about your issues. I hope it's something easily fixable (read inexpensive). I'm personally torn about whether to do preventative maintenance on mine, clutch and IMS....01, base, 70K miles, with several trips to the track yearly. It doesn't need a clutch but dangggggg. It sounds like yours was maintained very well...low mileage oil changes, etc etc. Which is a real bummer, since I do the same thing. Not at 1,000 miles, but no more than 7K. And still this happens.

Based on your postings, I'm assuming you don't abuse it..no over revs, but don't lug it either, keeping the revs above 3K when possible? I wonder if there's any possibility that the relatively low annual mileage and longish storage, might have anything to do with it? Wondering and, for my sake, hoping, since I drive mine year round and have been putting 12 K miles on it per year since I've owned it. (Don't take that the wrong way.. I have no ill wishes for you at all. I'm pulling for it to be something simple) But if driving it and accumulating mileage will help prevent IMS issues, I'm all in for that!

I suppose the best solution is to drive it and fugggget about it till (and unless) something happens. Not sure what else a person can do, without spending boatloads of cash. sigh.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #12

Be interesting to see what Jake has to say about your engine...it really doesn't fit the profile to have something as serious as an IMS failure.

Keep us up to date and your fingers crossed.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #13

Bob O,
I think you should do it. If I'm not mistaken the experts on the subject have written that if its going to go, it will do so by 70K. Sounds like you are in the eleventh hour. But on the other hand If you're still on your original clutch you might have a couple more years left of clutch use. The way I looked at it....a clutch job at an Indy shop will cost you $1200. That's works out to a couple hundred bucks a year if you can get 10 years out of it. I'd rather skip the $400 lost in doing the clutch 2 years prematurely and reduce my risk of DEFCON 3 down to probably less than what..1%? Meanwhile you still have a new clutch at the end of it all, albeit adding another $600-$800 to the job.
There's a guy on YouTube who did his 996 Carrera in his garage without any experience taking apart transmissions. So an experienced shop could do it no problem, 8 hours tops? I guess that's one of the great things about these newer Porsches. It's much less complicated than old 'hand assembled' Porsches.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #14

Did mine in my garage exactly one month ago, other than replacing a motor mount it was the first time I had ever worked on a German car. I had to pull out the tranny to send it out for rebuild so I figured what the hey, new clutch, RMS and IMS bearing while I'm in there. Once you are to the point where you can see the IMS flange, it really is a simple procedure to remove and replace it. Other than cramped quarters, these Boxsters really are easy to work on.

P.S. I have a 2002 Boxster S with 39k miles. Single row IMS bearing removed was as tight as a drum. These forums and stories like MTS's cause me no regret in doing the procedure / spending the money....peace of mind.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 AM   #15

Coreseller, the single row IMS bearing was "tight as a drum" in a good or bad way?
Also, to the original poster, don't you think you should have your 04 SE with only 20K miles diagnosed by a Porsche dealership? It might trun out to be something simple, or worst case, you can ask for good faith help from PCNA. Won't hurt to ask!

Good luck
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #16
mts

Our local dealership closed in January. Frankly, if the engine isn't toast I'm much more comfortable getting Jake to look at it than the dealership. Even if I got a new motor from Porsche the first thing I would do is do the IMS upgrade on it so I'm pretty much out that $$ no matter what and was planning to do that anyway. If the engine is toast perhaps that's a different story.
1997 911 Targa (sold)
Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #17
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
How do you know for sure it's the IMS? Could be just a failed water pump or bad lifter or something else. Instead of keeping it out of commission for so long, why not have it checked by a local indy shop?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #18

Seventythree,
tight as a drum is a good thing. No leaks, no play, no loose bearings, no problem.
My Indy reported the same about my dual row after 10 years of use.
I was a little worried at first because I bought the car with barely 9K miles
and after four years it probably had only had one oil change.. and then I was using Mobil at 8 to 10 month intervals for the next 50K miles because the car is only a weekend driver. I've since gotten off the 0 weights and use Castrol Syntec 5W40 every six months, Advanced Auto usually has a 5 for $25 sale.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #19

Yep, Perfect was correct, my IMS bearing was in fine condition. I truly hope for MTS's situation to be something other than the IMS. If any of you other guys are anything like me you'd probably have a coronary if a can of walnuts turned over in your trunk while driving, you'd just KNOW that the damned IMS bearing crapped out on you causing all sorts of angst and finacial pain. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Good luck MTS.... .
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #20

Interesting,sad, but interesting that another low mileage with an ims problem. I really hope its something else and real cheap. I am still wondering why the majority of the cars are lower mileage? I am sure you will, but keep us posted. and So sorry to here

Questions:
1.) Auto or stick?
2.) I think you said 3.2 am I correct that is was the "s" version?
3.) Any hints it was coming? IE. reving high, running hot, oil leaks on the floor.....?

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote