Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #1

Back window problem

My back window is hitting metal or something when the convertible roof is down. When I put the roof back up the vinyl window has dents in it. This occurs halfway up the window on the edge next to fabric on the passenger side. Anyone else experience this?

my1999boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1999boxster
My back window is hitting metal or something when the convertible roof is down. When I put the roof back up the vinyl window has dents in it. This occurs halfway up the window on the edge next to fabric on the passenger side. Anyone else experience this?
Are you doing the "boxster chop"to make sure the window folds correctly when you put it down? I always open the top about a foot and a half, then wipe down the window with a microfiber cloth while making sure it creases in the correct place.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #3

Karate chop or not, some minor pattern dents on the plastic is normal, it usually goes away shortly after the top is back up depending on the outside air temperature.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #4

RE: Back window problem

Probably a stupid question, do you mean halfway open the top, get out of the car, then fold the window, then get back in the car and continue closing it? I'll give that a try. Do you leave a towel or anything on the vinyl window as it closes, or do you just fold it?
Thanks again!
my1999boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1999boxster
Probably a stupid question, do you mean halfway open the top, get out of the car, then fold the window, then get back in the car and continue closing it? I'll give that a try. Do you leave a towel or anything on the vinyl window as it closes, or do you just fold it?
Thanks again!

Yes to procedure NO to towel, personally I would not add thickness there but doing the fold before finishing the top down procedure does help.

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote