Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #1

Tires Revisited

Interesting and informative review regarding the 2005 Porsche Boxster can be found at:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38222/

Automotive Consumer Guide had this to say about the 2005 Porsche Boxster Road Test concerning ride quality: Firm control with tire choice a big factor in comfort. 18’s: breaks, cracks, patchy pavement pass with little undue harshness. 19’s: ride is uncomfortably choppy on all but smooth roads. Uneven surfaces induce more structural shimmy than in BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Honda rivals, but body flex more compromising. I would appreciate feedback from 19" wheel/tire owners about their assertions. Would you chose 19" wheels/tires if you had to do it all over again?

Daryl Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #2

I would agree with the assessment of 19s, I would not put them on a car I owned.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #3

Thanks for your response. I had been told that the difference in tire performance between the 18” and 19” is negligible due to changes made in the 2005 Boxster’s suspension. I had been told that the 19” tires had been driven over some pretty rough roads without issues. I have not had any experience with an 18” or 19” tire. As is common knowledge, the 19” maintains a stiffer tire sidewall, and not as much sidewall, as an 18”, to absorb bumps and patchy pavement. In my opinion, the wheel design of the 19” is much more complimentary to the Boxster than the wheel design of the 18”. I guess therein lies much of the perceived controversy between 18” vs 19” wheels/tires. It is an important matter for me. This issue may ultimately discourage me from purchasing an '05.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:26 AM   #4

Have you driven both?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:11 AM   #5

I haven't made the opportunity to test drive cars that have both sets of wheels/tires. I need to make the opportunity in the not so distant future. I am now thinking that I may wait until a more attractive and complimentary 18" wheel becomes available as the Boxster year models progress. The waiting is always the hardest part.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:34 AM   #6

" The waiting is always the hardest part."

I think Tom Petty wrote a song about this!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:52 AM   #7

I went from factory 17's to Gemballa Competition 18's that are wider than stock by 1" in front and 2 1/2" in back. I went with the Porsche recommended tire sizes with the switch to 18's and while I did notice a minute increase in cornering ability, I did not notice any loss of ride comfort. Now, I did do this after only owning the Boxster for a month and a half, so I may have noticed a much bigger difference if I had upgraded after driving on the 17's for 6 months to a year.

I worry about potholes, curbs, etc. with the 18's....primarily due to the shorter sidewall and lack of sidewall bulge to protect the wheels. I lucked into the set of Gemballa's for less than the price of one, so if I were to trash one wheel, it would cost as much to replace the one wheel as I paid for the full set.

I can't imagine what it would be like with 19's as the tires would be nothing more than a rubber band wrapped around the rim. It would look pretty cool, but I don't think I would drive it as aggressively due to a fear of damage to the rim(s). My Boxster begs to be driven aggressively, so I would be defeating the purpose of buying the car in the first place.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #8

Talking

19s on a Boxster simply don't work. I do not see the advantage at all.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #9

I visited my local dealer today. The dealer did not have a Box S with 19" wheels/tires in stock. Another shipment is anticipated in approximately two weeks. BTW...Have you test drove a Box S with 19's? The sales reps still insist that the ride performance difference is negligible betweem 18's and 19's. I would be interested in hearing comments from individuals with first hand knowledge and experience.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #10

i moved from a stock 17" to 19" about 3 months ago. i was always careful around bumps. drive ways. and etc so i dont feel i am more cautious now. the size is fr: 235/35/19 on 19x8.5 and rr: 275/30/19 on a 19x10 wheel.
i do agree that i am not as agressive as i was on the 17". only consolation is that my chances of getting a speeding citation has gone way way done. i never drove a box with 18". i however drove a 996 cab with 18" light wheels (don't know the size) for about 6 months and that feels just as bumpy and it shimmys as my 19"s.
i am glad i got the 19". i would do it again......cuz it looks so damn beautiful.

Last edited by kajita; 04-11-2005 at 09:17 PM.
kajita is offline   Reply With Quote