Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #1

Are boxsters real porsches?

boxsters arent "real " porsches..., real men dont drive boxsters, they drive 911s.....i have heard this from some 911 fans and some porsche fans over the past several years....having owned a 993 911 in the past and almost buying a 996 several times in the past, i have to admit i had the same anti boxster bias!!!! and this is with out lowering my self to drive one......i my quest for a new sports car, i drove all the different versions of the 996, new and used, from the tt to the cab....but while they were nice cars, they didnt feel just right...then with the new boxster s getting rave reviews, i went back to my p car dealer to drive the new s...also got a chance to driving leftover 04 boxster s....quess what, the 04 boxster s was a great car, great fun, and the 05 was even better!!!a better all around car the 996 cab andjust as fun if not more fun to drive than the 997s!!!!i like it so much, i bought one!!!!and i was able to sell my 360 spider, which i could no longer afford, in good conscience.....i even think the boxster looks better than a 911cab..i like the 911 better as a coupe and the boxster has a more logical design for a sports car...but why all the anti boxster bias from some of the 911 people..and if one more person call the boxster a chick car!!! i didnt know cars have gender...and if boxster s are chick cars, then 911 s are old man cars!!!(btw, i am an old man!!!)

scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #2

Talking

I just bought my first porsche (97 silver boxster with hardtop) and I love it! I was coming from a WRX and also felt that maybe getting a boxster was "unmanly". I remember a quote from the Sopranos that "a boxster is a porsche with panites"

After driving it for several days now...I love it. Not a powerful as my WRX but much more of an experience and I love the turning abilitiy. I would easily compare it to my dad's 03' C4S. It IS definately a Porsche.

And yes, my wife loves to drive it too!!
scoobyrex27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyrex27
I remember a quote from the Sopranos that "a boxster is a porsche with panites"
Yes in the passenger seat!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #4

Talking

I have two comments:

1-The Boxster has a Porsche name on it and is sold and serviced by Porsche and is totally expensive to service, repair and upgrade.

. Gee, that would make it a .......Porsche.

2-The 911 is a fine car, the boxster is a fine car. End of discussion.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #5

What is real? How do you define real?
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #6

A Boxster can also out-handle a 911
Old 04-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to phrankandbeanz
here we go once again
phrankandbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to phrankandbeanz
read here http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2265
phrankandbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #9

Thanks for pulling that link.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #10

I think that 914 owners probably got some of the same vibes from the 911 and car community when it came out. At first I thought that the boxster had a soft image because it was offered as a convertible only. But then I recalled that the viper SRT 10 has also been a covertible up until very recently and it is definately not considered a chick car( what car would be with 500 hp right?) I think there are perhaps several variables in this false presumption but the main one must be that the early 2.5L boxsters didn't score big points with the more is better crowd. Some people consider 201hp and a mid 6 sec 0-60 run unimpressive...or downright slow and disappointing for anything wearing a Porsche badge. I think with all the accalades the new Boxster S is receiving the myth of the boxster being a glorified Miata is finally coming to an end. If Porsche would have offered the boxster S around the same time as the original back in 97' this discussion may not have ever taken place. Of course with the 97' 993 putting out barely more HP as the current boxster S, Porsche couldn't allow that kind of threat to the 911 until the performance bar was raised in 99 with the 996. Porsche allowed the boxster to be on the market for almost 3 yrs before they introduced the S model and this allowed some of the car public to perceive the car as weak and inaffective. And as we all know, once some people have made up their minds about something they are very slow to change their minds despite glaring deficientcies in their logic. Just my 002.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I think that 914 owners probably got some of the same vibes from the 911 and car community when it came out. At first I thought that the boxster had a soft image because it was offered as a convertible only. But then I recalled that the viper SRT 10 has also been a covertible up until very recently and it is definately not considered a chick car( what car would be with 500 hp right?) I think there are perhaps several variables in this false presumption but the main one must be that the early 2.5L boxsters didn't score big points with the more is better crowd. Some people consider 201hp and a mid 6 sec 0-60 run unimpressive...or downright slow and disappointing for anything wearing a Porsche badge. I think with all the accalades the new Boxster S is receiving the myth of the boxster being a glorified Miata is finally coming to an end. If Porsche would have offered the boxster S around the same time as the original back in 97' this discussion may not have ever taken place. Of course with the 97' 993 putting out barely more HP as the current boxster S, Porsche couldn't allow that kind of threat to the 911 until the performance bar was raised in 99 with the 996. Porsche allowed the boxster to be on the market for almost 3 yrs before they introduced the S model and this allowed some of the car public to perceive the car as weak and inaffective. And as we all know, once some people have made up their minds about something they are very slow to change their minds despite glaring deficientcies in their logic. Just my 002.
thanks adam, a great analysis ...i think you are right, with only 201hp, the orginaly boxster could have used more power, but as it was, there was long waiting lists and great demand...and porsche did have to devalue their beloved and money making 911...we all know that the boxster is a much better design than the 911, and the current boxster s, with 280hp, is right up with first generation 996 in power to weight ratio and much better handling...in fact, just this weekend i drove a friends 1999 911 cab, and my s felt every bit as quick with much better steering and handling, better engine sound, and stiffer chassis!!! the 911 actually felt sloppy in comparison...even my friend admitted as much...
scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:20 AM   #12

Talking

The 911 drivers should remember that the Boxster saved Porsche from bankruptcy. The car has been the cash cow that allowed the slow selling 911 to continue.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:33 AM   #13

Wink

For my money, not only is the Boxster a true Porsche, it really is THE one true Porsche. Yes, even my (supposedly) underpowered '97. The 911 (996 and later models) have become hyperpowered, hyperpriced, and much heavier, more complex cars than ever envisioned by Ferry Porsche. Porsches have historically been lightweight, aerodynamic, great handling cars with enough power to get the job done. Besides, here in Ohio, more power would just get me arrested.

Mike
scubaguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
The 911 drivers should remember that the Boxster saved Porsche from bankruptcy. The car has been the cash cow that allowed the slow selling 911 to continue.
Roadsters and Targas have been the best selling Porsches in its history, much more so than tin tops.
So I guess either Porsche has historically been selling allot of Fake Porsches or the Boxster is part of the flagship....
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:39 PM   #15

"or the Boxster is part of the flagship...."

The dealers certainly think so!
Old 04-12-2005, 05:20 AM   #16

i have a boxster that i enjoy just like most people on this board, but if someone were to put a 997 right next to a new boxster and asked me to choose. i'd have to say 997, not because of the poser thing, but when i was a kid i didn't look in a magazine and dream about 550s, i always wanted a 911. who knows, after i finally reach my dreams of a 911, i may trade it in for a new boxster after a few years. but i've never regret not having a 911 every time i drive my boxster. it's fun as hell.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:41 AM   #17

Talking

Reality is, they are both fine cars. Some folks love to feel better than others for all kinds of reasons. Some choose the car they drive as some form of self congratulatory fashion statement. Happens here in Kalifornia all the time!

Others simply like to drive fast cars that handle like all get-out!

Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Easy for me to say, I sell them both!