Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #1

Can remote start work with Boxster

Just paid a lot of cash to have a car alarm installed on pick up was told they can't get the remote start working without key in car and on acc which is useless telling me a auto remote won't start Boxster because it not compatible with porsche factory key transmiter won't over ride immobliers without key in car and turn on. Does anyone have a remote start can it be done or do I just have a fool Auto Electric that don't know how to do his job right thanks for any info...

Bellster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 AM   #2

Don't you have hands to turn a key?

I just do not see the point.
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:26 AM   #3

where did you take it....best buy? A remote start is possible, and they were half correct. A key does need to stay in the car, typically inside a imbolizer box that is tucked way under the dash.

All of the wires in the key cylinder are activated by relays from the remote start module. So you do not need the key to be in the key cylinder to start it. If you have a manual transmission, I do not recommend putting a remote start on though, because you could end up with a run away car.

Hope this helped.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #4

Looking at some information for installation, it doesn't look so bad. The only thing I see anyone would charge a lot is the space available for a person to do installation bc it's just so cramp.

Other than that, this car can be a DIY job for security/RS.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #5

Yes, it should be able to be done. But you will need to fool the immobilizer feature into thinking that a key is in the ignition. Here's what I would do: open the electronics portion of your car key. Remove the RFID 'pill', and fix it up under the dash very near where the ignition key goes. The rest of the remote start install should be standard like any other car.

Of course, you have essentially disabled a security feature of your car in doing this, as any key that can turn the ignition will start the car. But on the bright side, key programming is no longer necessary.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #6

Thanks boys will try the RFID "pill" under dash see if this works DEMICK I have a set of keys form ebay that has a pill in it will any pill work or will it have to be out of my set of keys thanks???
Bellster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #7

It has to be programmed to your specific boxster.

I would purchase a $10 universal bypass unit and wire it up then tuck it away.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellster
Thanks boys will try the RFID "pill" under dash see if this works DEMICK I have a set of keys form ebay that has a pill in it will any pill work or will it have to be out of my set of keys thanks???
The transponder must be out of a key that is already programmed to start your car (in other words, your keys, not an e-bay key unless your car has been programmed by the dealer to recognize that key). The good news is, since the transponder will always be in place, the key you have removed it from will continue to work as always (as well as any other key that fits the ignition).

I don't know of any 'universal bypass' unit that would bypass the immobilizer on a Boxster.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Don't forget to disable the clutch switch also, as the clutch normally has to be depressed to start the car.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote