Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #1

Boxster 2000 Water Leak from Center of Car

Hi. I'm losing coolant and thought it was the expansion tank. But after removing carpet and such, no leak. Car has never overheated, so I refilled and brought back up to operating temperature. I noticed a leak under car near center, maybe just forward of center. After removing shield, its coming from a drain. What is this drain for? Could it be heater core? How can you tell if it is heater core or heater valve? Sorry for all the questions, any help would be appreciated.

longrange9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
It being in the center of the car leads me to believe it is a bad water pump. Mine started to leak there at 59k miles. Had to put in a new water pump to fix it.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #3

It could be hose...remove the engine cover behind the seat. Start the engine and let it run and watch and see if the water pumps is leaking. Removing this cover gives you a look at water hoses that connect to the engine too.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #4

Good suggestion to remove engine cover behind seat and observe. Will do. I would think if it was a water pump leaking, the water wouldn't be coming out of the drain more forward of the center of car. This drain is about 1/4 inch in diameter and only about 1 inch long. Does anyone know what this drain is for? It looks like it is for the passenger compartment. Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #5

Body drains are on the sides of the car before and aft of the wheels. If the leak is in the center or thereabouts and is not the water pump...it will be hose.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #6

The drain near the center-front of the car is the drain for the A/C. I removed the carpet from passenger side and discovered. It's located on the far front left side of the passenger floorboard. This is also listed on the net as a problem area for boxsters for clogging. This didn't help in finding my leak, but I learned something. I keep checking oil level and thank God it still hasn't increased. I'm now looking at hoses and heater core. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #7

Probably AC....

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:35 AM   #8

I think its may be possible to this types of problem is occur to in your car AC.or otherwise when you Come back from the washing your car so that time it can possible..I think this types of problem is Seen In every car.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #9

Mystery solved. The water coming out from underneath the car was the A/C as I stated before and my mystery leak ended up being a leak in the heater core. I had some water on the passenger side (behind seat) last winter, but I thought it was from the convertible top. Plus I had no noticeable drop in water level in the tank reservoir. Last month it must of gotten worst to the point where drop in water level was noticeable. The reason the water was noticeable behind the passenger seat is because the carpet padding is thinner. Otherwise I would of noticed wetness up front under the dash. Easiest heater core I have every installed! As you guys probably know, you don't have to crawl under the dash. It's under the front hood behind the battery. Thanks for your responses.