Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #1

tools for changing plugs

I'm changing out my MY99 plugs (old) and tubes/o-rings (all seeping) and I'd like to have everything I need close at hand before I start. I'm going with Pedro's transom plug tip to pop the tubes. What I'd like to know, because some of the plugs look awkward to get at, is what combination of extensions and/or flex joints will I need between the socket wrench and the socket to r+r the plugs. I'll be using an 11' tilt-head 3/8 Snap-On socket wrench and I have the correct socket.

Mark

Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #2

I did that last year. It was pretty straightforward. The plug next to the pass seat was a ******************** so be warned.

Here is my post on How I did it.

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=186331#post186331

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #3

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Change_Spark_Plugs_%26_Tubes.html
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #4

Thanks! I'll make sure I allow lots of time before I start.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #5

I did per Pedro... used the boat transom plug. The rubber part is a little to big, so I took a file and filed it down. Then I pushed it in and had to use a small pair of pliers to tighten it up. After the first one you get a feel for it.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #6

You can also use a small tool you can find at any auto parts store. It has a T handle on it and a metal shaft with a hook at the end and it's sharp at the tip.

After you get the plug out you can insert this and yank out the tube from the back by hooking it. This is what Travis, a forum member, told me he used just last weekend and it was great.

My tubes were so heat-welded in place that no boat plug is going to get them out. Period.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #7

Thanks Randall - that also sounds like a good suggestion. I have the transom plug so I'll try that first and if it doesn't work I'll pop round to CanTi and see if I can find a better weapon. As they are all seeping slightly, I'm hoping that the presence of the oil will allow them to slip right out.

Mark