Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #1

Upper idler replacement

I have a 2000 S and need to replace the upper idler and most likely will replace the other one and tensioner also. I loosened the lower bearing and the bolt is very long and does not clear in the cabinet firewall...has any one replaced them.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest

Last edited by jcb986; 04-11-2010 at 10:30 AM.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #2

I replaced all three, rebuilt the rollers with skf bearings 6203-2rsj purchased from NAPA, 12 bucks for their best bearings versus about 160 from suncoast for new rollers and bearings. Regarding the long bolt, break it loose with the ratchet, then use your fingers or the loose socket and extension to free the threads. You still need to patiently work it at the best angle possible and might even have to flex the panel opening a touch but it will come out easier than you are fretting about. It goes in without any issue.

Note: The tensioner bearing has a locking bushing on the back of it so it will need a wrench on the back of it all the way off.

I padded my vise and set the jaws wide enough for the bearings to press out but closed enough to support the rollers, then drove out the bearings with a bearing driver. They press out very easy, you could certainly use an appropriate socket and tap them out with that too. I made a copy of the belt travel page from my Bentley repair book, I found having a throw down copy at the job-site to be beneficial. One last tip, it's way easier to use a wrench on the tensioner for belt installation than a socket, that is where the clearance was an issue..

Last edited by eightsandaces; 04-11-2010 at 11:37 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
I replaced all three, rebuilt the rollers with skf bearings 6203-2rsj purchased from NAPA, 12 bucks for their best bearings versus about 160 from suncoast for new rollers and bearings. Regarding the long bolt, break it loose with the ratchet, then use your fingers or the loose socket and extension to free the threads. You still need to patiently work it at the best angle possible and might even have to flex the panel opening a touch but it will come out easier than you are fretting about. It goes in without any issue.

Note: The tensioner bearing has a locking bushing on the back of it so it will need a wrench on the back of it all the way off.

I padded my vise and set the jaws wide enough for the bearings to press out but closed enough to support the rollers, then drove out the bearings with a bearing driver. They press out very easy, you could certainly use an appropriate socket and tap them out with that too. I made a copy of the belt travel page from my Bentley repair book, I found having a throw down copy at the job-site to be beneficial. One last tip, it's way easier to use a wrench on the tensioner for belt installation than a socket, that is where the clearance was an issue..
Thanks for the info. Does the same bearing work on all three.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest

Last edited by jcb986; 04-11-2010 at 05:03 PM.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
Thanks for the info. Does the same bearing work on all three.

Yes, one bearing order for all three.

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote