Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 06:10 AM   #1

Cool Extended Warranty

With the purchase of my 99' Boxster with 40,000 miles I opted for the 4 year 48,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for $2400. It has a $100.00 deductable.
Does anybody have experience with these? Did I get ripped? I can take it to the local Porsche dealer to have the work done so at the time it seemed like a great idea. Are there any blown engine or tranny stories?

Thanks,

CC

custom-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:14 AM   #2

Talking

No way to answer this question for you. You have to look at the policy to see what you bought and to check the background of the carrier to see what their track record looks like. In some states, these contracts are regulated by the Insurance Dept. Check with them on the soundness of the company.

You may also have a rescind/refund clause in the contract.

Start reading and let us know what you find out!

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom-cruiser
With the purchase of my 99' Boxster with 40,000 miles I opted for the 4 year 48,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for $2400. It has a $100.00 deductable.
Does anybody have experience with these? Did I get ripped? I can take it to the local Porsche dealer to have the work done so at the time it seemed like a great idea. Are there any blown engine or tranny stories?

Thanks,

CC
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:57 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Should have gotten the dealer's extended warranty. Those independent ones will find any excuse not to cover your repairs. My factory extended warranty has even covered items that are explicitly excluded in the warranty information!!! :-)

I know this doesn't help you now, but might help a future Boxster buyer who reads this.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:13 AM   #4

The last time I asked, the Factory extended warranty was available only at the time of original purchase OR if you bought a CPO vehicle from a dealer.

Perhaps that has changed?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:14 AM   #5

I declined the 3rd party warranty when I bought my used Box. It looked like it covered SO MUCH STUFF... that would never go wrong with any car. It covered no wear and tear items.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:22 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
The last time I asked, the Factory extended warranty was available only at the time of original purchase OR if you bought a CPO vehicle from a dealer.

Perhaps that has changed?
That is true. I guess I just assumed that he bought it at a dealer. Maybe this was not the case.

And Porschekid -- that is the whole point of the warranty. It is not designed to cover wear items, the mentality being that you can budget for those problems; you know well in advance when you will need an oil change or new tires. However, the unexpected items, such as a control arm breaking in half or an electrical short that results in a fried ECU (obviously I'm using extremes here) are completely unexpected, so the warranty provides you the ability to "budget" these items by paying a nominal fee in order to know you'll never have to pay for something like this. I'm not advocating it -- to each his own. But on my first P-car purchase, knowing nothing about reliability and such, I opted for the CPO warranty if for no other reason, so that I knew I wouldn't be replacing an engine or tranny in the first 2 years.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:28 AM   #7

^Of course, but I still call wear items things pumps (water, fuel, steering, water), seals, some suspension items, etc. But most of these used car warranties say they only cover failure of "lubricated parts" and list thing like pistons and cam shafts, sway bars, etc. Thing that never break or couldn't possibly go wrong with a car without catastrophic engine damage. And in the event you do have catastrophic engine damage, they won't cover it.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:00 AM   #8

The vehicle was purchased from an Acura dealer and the same owner is building the Porsche dealer right next door(should open in about a week).
I will grab the contract at lunch today and see what exactly is excluded, but from what I remember the finance guy saying it "covered just about every thing except the clutch" as yes it is a "wear part"
custom-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #9

yeah read fine print.
I asked my warranty company CWS to send me an email listing all of the items they didn't cover in their 'bumper to bumper' coverage as opposed to listing what they did cover. I told them if it wasn't on this list I was to assume that they would replace it? This took a few calls but they sent one over. There weren't many items on the list.
I would suggest you do the same.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:29 AM   #10

I have the super extended 7yr 70k dealer warranty. You can never be too careful It's too bad they won't cover wear items like the clutch though...I may need one soon since I'm kinda hard on the equipment. Good time to put in a lightweight flywheel at least.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #11

CC: Just think - you could have an 01 Merc ML320 with a like 40k: the cost of a similar private extension would have been twice as much. I think that speaks well for our cars.

If you think it useful, then it was probably a fair price for you.

Jim

wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote