Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #1

02 sensors

Recently I bought a 1997 Boxster with 98,000 on the Odo. It ran fine but had an engine light on. I also bought a reader and it produced 02 errors of 3 potential types. I elected to change out ALL 4 02 sensors with the type which has the connector on it. The sensor ends seated fine and the snap on ends did as well. I cleared my codes and low and behold I STILL got a engine check light with the same 02 codes! Now what?

manxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #2

Make sure that you did get the 4 wire O2 sensors since there are different ones.

I would do the following provided that you do have the correct sensors installed.

Clear codes (without starting vehicle)
Remove and reinsert O2 plugs
Turn on power of car but not ignition. Let it go through the adaptation process (takes about 30 seconds). You will know when it's done when some of your instrument cluster lights dissapear. Start ignition.

If the idle is rough, shut down and restart (without having to go through steps above again). Repeat until idle is normal. Drive and have fun!
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #3

02 sensors

Viper, understand my Boxster runs and idles just fine! The only problem is the reoccurring engine check light! I had a very dirty air filter which I cleaned using and air hose and since it was not bad put it back in. Could be a dirty MAF? Thanks for the input!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

Oh yeah they WERE the correct 4 wire type and I suppose you can ONLY connect the upper push in connection ONE way? Do you mean remove them completely on BOTH ends screw in, and push on? Again much thanks for the input, The old girl runs great, has lots of pull, no drips and only cost me $6,000! This is my FIRST Modern Porsche as my others are a 1958 356A Super Coupe (Euro spec) & my 1976 912E Sunroof (last of the air cooled 4 cylinder Porsches!)
Old 04-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #5

I was suggesting that you reset the electrical connection by taking them out and putting them back in. Additionally, I was saying to let the car go through the adaptation process as described previously. This is the official way to install just about anything in your car. Not sure if what I said will work, but electrical components can do funny things sometimes. Best to just reset to see.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote