Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #1

Have $5000; What mods to do?

Just bought a 5 speed 01 boxster non-s and looking for recommended upgrades/mods within $5000. The more mods the better but if there is one great mod for $5000 I would be up for that too. Also looking for possible preventative maintenance purchase recommendations as well. This car is all stock when I bought it so I could upgrade anything/everything. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Last edited by coolbreeze551; 04-06-2010 at 09:01 PM.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #2

If it's something you desire, you can allow the top to come up or down without having to stop. This mod is free. You could alternatively purchase a switch for about $150 which does the same thing but also is a one touch so you don't have to hold on to the button. Very easy to install. There are competing companies that make these but one is much better than the rest. Can't remember the name though. I'm sure somebody here can help.

The first idea I mentioned involves taking a relay switch and bending a pin and replacing it. Very simple. Takes 5 minutes. Just be cautious that you don't want to go over 15mph when operating or you may damage the hood.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

I like that free mods that best . I have also heard of the de snorkel mod as well which is free and adds a cool engine noise to the ride. I will try that top mod when I can. Which pin do you bend?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #4

Bend pin 18 for the top down hack. You still need to engage the parking brake light, not the parking brake itself.

Are you looking for cosmetic or performance mods? There are several things you can do really, depending on what you want from your car.

For cosmetic touches, you could paint the bumperettes at the back of your car to whatever color the panels are, this makes the car look somewhat younger.

You can also add the Cayman spoiler to the Boxster, I personally think this adds a bit of style to the normal wall that is the stock spoiler.

Aftermarket Spoiler

Last edited by Lordblood; 04-06-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #5

I am looking for both/either cosmetic and performance. I am more or less looking for the top upgrades/mods for the boxster. For example, what are the top 5 to do to a boxster after you get it. Either performance or cosmetic doesn't matter. I am looking for opinions of people who have already done these and like what they did or would have done it differently. What would be the best way to spend $5000 or less on a boxster?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:48 AM   #6

Zeintop.....
Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551
I am looking for both/either cosmetic and performance. I am more or less looking for the top upgrades/mods for the boxster. For example, what are the top 5 to do to a boxster after you get it. Either performance or cosmetic doesn't matter. I am looking for opinions of people who have already done these and like what they did or would have done it differently. What would be the best way to spend $5000 or less on a boxster?

IMO, the underpulley mod truly makes a difference in how fast the car accelerates or "winds up". It's pretty simple to do as long as you don't muck up the case when you shave the aluminum to accommodate the pulley. I love the headers too and actually think they could be louder, however, if you're going to do the headers you must be into the possible adventure involved when one of the bolts snap.

Header + pulley + new belt & bearings can be had for less than 500.00 if you negotiate the headers on flea bay. My best advise is, drive it a while first, then you will have a better idea of your personal priorities. Besides, after you own it a few years, the mods and personalizations are what make taking it back out each year seem more like getting a new car, good luck.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 04-07-2010 at 03:29 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:12 AM   #8

save half of the money for future repairs and a cayman spoiler would look super cool.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #9

Not to be a smart-a$$, but if you just purchased the car and have the extra $5k, why didn't you buy an S to begin with? More HP, 6 sp tranny, better brakes and suspension.

I'd save most of the money for future maintenance and repairs. You didn't state the mileage, but a used Boxster will require some expensive items and perhaps that would be the best time to consider upgrades.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:22 AM   #10

I have the same car ... Nice choice! My first mod was to get clear corners and tail lights from an '03. Really updates the look IMHO.

The second mod was to order & install Porsche Sport Exhaust. I like it for the looks and the sound. That route is an expensive one though.

Good luck & welcome!
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:42 AM   #11

Coolbreeze - I have a set of headers for your car. They were on mine for one season.

$200 + Shipping. PM me if you are interested.

I'm in Ottawa so you won't have to deal with duty, taxes, etc...
VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #12

I would get the Fabspeed catback, update to newer headlights/taillights, deamber, 18" wheels if you don't already have them and nice set of tires. If suspension is worn you can get the RoW M030 kit.

Also, 997 shift console upgrade is almost mandatory.

Get the updated coolant cap, GT3 brake ducts (if you intend to drive you car hard/take it to the track). These are on the cheap side.

The one-press drop top module they're talking about is SmartTOP. I have one and it works wonderfully.

http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/index.php?p=b3JnYT1zbWFydHRvcCZncm91cD0yJmxhbmc9Mi ZjdXJyPTI=&action=products&cat=11

Last edited by ekam; 04-07-2010 at 06:04 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #13

top five this to do with a boxster after you get it.
1. drop the top
2. drive it
3. repeat
4. repeat
5. repeat

and/or

lighter wheels, sticky tires and use the rest for performance driving schools.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:34 AM   #14

IMS replacement, and other flat 6 goodies perhaps?
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #15

Garage
As others mentioned, you did not say how old/how many miles the car has. The clutch/RMS job on itself is $1000-$1500. Almost certain at one stage you will have an issue with the MAF, another $200-$300 right there.
Honestly I would save some of that for maintenance.
I am actually doing the opposite you are, bringing the car back to as stock as possible from whatever the previous owner did. The factory options they got (short shifter, body kit, etc) I am keeping but everything else is going away (intake with cone filter, etc).
And as said, the best mod you can get for a Boxster for $5K is to buy a newer Boxster S.
Whereabouts are you in Canada? I am in Ottawa.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #16

+1 on the IMS upgrade (~$1400 at most independent shops, add another $600 if you decide to do the clutch while its all apart). It's the one mod that may save you from the biggest mod of them all...new engine upgrade.

p.s.
$5K is what I just spend on major maintenance for a car that's only a year older than yours. And I still need to do the shocks...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #17

Save it for a down payment toward a new engine when your current one blows?

Just kidding (well, sorta).
Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551
Just bought a 5 speed 01 boxster non-s and looking for recommended upgrades/mods within $5000. The more mods the better but if there is one great mod for $5000 I would be up for that too. Also looking for possible preventative maintenance purchase recommendations as well. This car is all stock when I bought it so I could upgrade anything/everything. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Dude.. you bought a Porsche.. not a Civic.. this car is OK the way it is, you don't NEED to mod anything.. you have an old car, don't waste money into it, you won't see a single $ back of that money, just enjoy it the way it is for the good time you can have from it, maintenance cost will come back to you quick enought.. that 5K will cover a few tire / oil change.. that's it.. Keep that money in your saving account for your next Porsche in a few years, or to back you up if you have a badluck..

If you want to spend Money toward your car, first get a bentley manual:
http://www.amazon.ca/Porsche-Boxster-Service-Manual-1997-2004/dp/0837613337
Second get a Durametric Cable:
http://www.durametric.com/default.aspx
Then get a HardTop if you think it's suitable for you..
Or shop for a motorcycle

If you really want to enjoy your car, spend that money on the Track, Subscribe some CMP LAPPING, it will be the best 500$ you'v never spend.
http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=151
Then get some 'Driver Education' with your local Porsche Club, if your in Ontario/Quebec area, visit www.rennsport.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Not to be a smart-a$$, but if you just purchased the car and have the extra $5k, why didn't you buy an S to begin with? More HP, 6 sp tranny, better brakes and suspension.

I'd save most of the money for future maintenance and repairs. You didn't state the mileage, but a used Boxster will require some expensive items and perhaps that would be the best time to consider upgrades.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
top five this to do with a boxster after you get it.
1. drop the top
2. drive it
3. repeat
4. repeat
5. repeat

and/or

lighter wheels, sticky tires and use the rest for performance driving schools.
+1

Last edited by vipola; 04-07-2010 at 09:06 AM.
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta

I purchased the car about a month ago and at the time had more money then sense... and not much has changed. Just kidding, I bought the non-S because it was a good price and I didn't know that I would have 5K at the point that I am at now. The car has 81K miles. Thanks for all the suggestions, some really great ideas. I will most likely go with maintenance purchases such as IMS retro fit and a few others.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #20

Garage
Now that we know the mileage (around 129,000km, correct?) I would definitely save the money for what is coming ahead. Not saying it will come now or in the next month but a car with that mileage for sure will need something done on it soon. Even if the clutch was replaced already at one point, it will probably need one in the near future and if it was never replaced, you have bragging rights for sure.
Same for the RMS.
Mine had 35,500 miles on I got it (56,800km) and even though I do not need a new clutch right now, I already bought the Sachs Clutch Kit ($398.00 shipped to Canada) and as I do think I have some very very minor RMS leak I will get it all done now. At the place close to my house the labor for this work is around 6 hours at $72.00 per hour so for less than $1,000 I will get a new clutch/RMS in. Definitely worth and I am sure it will last for a LONG time in my hands (or feet).
I am also replacing the stock radio (just taking it out and storing it at home) with a nice Pioneer CD/Navi unit. That gives the car a much more updated look on the dash so IMHO it is a great mod!

CR

crod is offline   Reply With Quote