Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #1

Is this a problem?

I replaced my air filter today on my 05 Boxster S and noticed a lot of build up and what looks like oil on various spot in the engine bay. I attached a few photos, does anyone know if this is a problem that needs to be addressed? Possibly an AOS that is on its way out?

I have a CPO warranty and want to get this taken care of should it be an issue.

Thanks

K_Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #2

Does not look particularly unusual; suggest cleaning the engine bay, running the car for a few days and checking again. If there are problems, they will apppear.....
Old 04-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #3

the part you circled is the AOS (Porsche's version of a glorified PCV). It's a known weakness in the system which can, in rare instances, cause catastrophic failure. You can step down from the ledge though as yours just looks dirty and any oil could have simply just gathered there.

Pull the tube off where it connects to the throttle body and see if there is any oil pooling in there. If so, yours could be on it's way out. Since you have the CPO, you may want the dealer to inspect it on your next visit and see if it needs replaced or you can DIY for ~ $120 (though I did see Sunset had them advertised at $87 in a recent P magazine) and about 2 hrs time.

Lots of details here if you do a search on AOS

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #4

Thanks gentlemen... I sent the pictures to my service advisor, he'll take a look and let me know if I need to make an appointment. At the very least, should something happen later at least I documented the issue with Porsche prior to the warranty ending.

K_Barton is offline   Reply With Quote