Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #1

S vs regular Boxster (2005)

I am close to purchasing a regular boxster (2.7). My wife is behind me but has said she is concerned about the noise (we did a two hour test drive) and has said she may not want to go more than an hour at once. I was wondering if the "S" would be any quieter since I would not have to rev as high before changing gears due to the increased HP and torque, since under normal driving conditions I do not drive agresively. Does this seem logical or am I off base.
Also are there any other differences between the two models other than engine and a 6 speed.

gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:36 PM   #2

i never drove the non s,but i drove and bought the s...great car...great engine -exhaust note, but is loud in a pleasant way, and only when you want it to be...it can be very quiet when you dont rev about 3-4k rpm...great torque down low, so in norma. driving there isnot need to rev it high but the engine does egg you on to rev high!!!!
scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #3

The "S" also has upgraded brakes from the 911. Slighty different instrument cluster. Dual tips on the muffler. I'm probably leaving out a thing or two. All the points mentioned above are notable....I was also thinking since the "S"'s top gear 6th would be an advantage highway cruising since the final drive is lower.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:21 PM   #4

Gary

This is truely a first for me. I have been following boxster boards for the last 2 1/2 years and the only time you see anything about noise (exhaust and intake sounds) is how to increase them. I believe we all feel as if this is part of the fun. Porsche spends a lot of time and money getting it this way. The S if anything should be a little louder than the base model is. The HP increase over last years S was achieved by enlarging the intake and exhaust thusly allowing the engine to breathe easier. Will the S, with more HP, allow you to "feather" the car. I don't think this is necessary the base model with 240 HP will provide ample power to go easy. Keep in mind you are driving a roadster and they are inherently louder.
graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #5

Talking

Drive both under the conditions you are concerned about.

Or, leave here home.

Your choice!!!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:17 PM   #6

Question

Possible solution(?):
Apply dynamat or QuietCar to the metal "engine compartment lid" and/or the underside of the "carpet covering" above that. See owner's manual for reference.
No_Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:48 AM   #7

hey man just get to drive the thing once she feels the power at her fingertips she won't look at it the same way!
So far the girls who have ridden in my S love all the boxer engine racket. I can honestly say I was not expecting such a positive reaction.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote