Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

Renewing ignition coils

Hi does anyone have any ideas if the ignition coils can be changed easily on a porsche boxster 2003 or is it a dealer job?

If it is possible, any tips on how best to access them??

Also where should I buy new ones and should I get OEM coils?

Thanks

Mark

mark79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #2

That's an easy DIY...jack up the back of the car, remove the rear wheels, remove the inner plastic panel and there they are. A little tight fit but you can remove them. If you are not having any problems why change them.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #3

Thanks a lot for that thats really helpful. Drove home from work today and found and engine light came on. Rac fault diagnosis recorded cylinder 5 missfire. Before I bought the car on the last service it was noted that some coil casings were cracked but I don't know which ones.

Don't know if it is worth changing the lot but if a few are already cracked i'm thinking i prob should!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #4

Any ideas where to buy from, and if I should use OEM replacments?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #5

Changing out the ignition coils is an easy DIY project. OEM Beru brand coils are available for US$46.00 each from Pelican Parts. I and many others have found them to be a reliable source.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/986M_catalog.htm

Another good source is ************************************************************. They have the Berus for US$40.46each.

Why do you think some or all of your coils are bad?

Last edited by gschotland; 03-31-2010 at 01:58 PM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #6

Here are the instructions on how to replace them:
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Change_Spark_Plugs_%26_Tubes.html
But, if you're getting a misfire code, first check to see that cylinder 5 is connected properly.
Sometimes the coil's connector get loosened and you'll get a CEL.
My car is at 195,000 miles and I still have all of the original coils.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #7

Yes, check the connection. While servicing mine I had knock one lose and got the same code. If you can pull it away without pressing in on the clips this will cause your problem. Just peel back the rubber that covers the connection to be sure you get it seated and locked back in. Then push the rubber cover back over the connection. Might as well change your plugs to if have at least 60K on the clock. Pelican Parts is a good source and the have reasonable prices.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
Yes, check the connection. While servicing mine I had knock one lose and got the same code. If you can pull it away without pressing in on the clips this will cause your problem. Just peel back the rubber that covers the connection to be sure you get it seated and locked back in. Then push the rubber cover back over the connection. Might as well change your plugs to if have at least 60K on the clock. Pelican Parts is a good source and the have reasonable prices.
i did this too. This is a real easy replacement. i think suncoast gives good prices also.

dallison is offline   Reply With Quote