Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #1

Road trip itinerary suggestions

Hey all,

In early May I'll be making the move from Boston to Southern Alabama (Ft. Rucker). I'd like to make a 3-5 day trip out of it. I want to spend a day each in Philadelphia and Nashville, but it's still open ended. Any suggestions on what to see or avoid? What are the best roads along the east coast for spirited boxster driving?

Also, if anybody knows where I can go noodling along the way, please PM me.

Best,
Greg

gwellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #2

Memphis... go to Graceland and hang out on Beale St.
Or do a route through North Carolina - Ashville for the Biltmore and then to hit the Tail of the Dragon Rt 129 at the NC - Tenn border.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
no brainer --

Skyline Drive / Blue Ridge Parkway

I definitely second that. As much of it as you can. Do it during the day during the week when most people are at work. This is the Boxster at about 10 in the morning on the side of the Parkway after 30 hours on the road!
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #5

I drove the Blue Ridge last Sep after the Neb - Va Tech game. Have no idea how beautiful it is because it was cloudy / rainy that day, which meant it was foggy in the mountains. Could only drive about 10-15mph, which got tiresome after an hr.

I did see the funniest highway sign of all time - a sharp, slow corner was approaching so to warn the motorists, they showed a motorcycle flying over a fence and down a cliff. The driver was flying solo above the cycle spread-eagled like Gummby. I wanted to take a pic of it but because of the fog, it appeared suddenly and it was too dangerous to stop and run back for the pic. Anyone behind us would have smacked into my rental. Not worth the pic for that.

Hope your jaunt on the BRP is on a bright, sunny day.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #6

Great Smokey mountain ride is good and you will enjoy the great mountain air. Nashville, home of Andrew Jackson, see the Hermitage. Display your musket proudly and you will meet and make many friends. I consider this area, the heart of America.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #7

I thought this place was pretty cool in Nashville TN.

Parthenon
W End and 25th Ave
Nashville, TN 37203
Phone: (615) 862-8431
Price: Adults $3.50; children/seniors $2

An impressive permanent art collection, wonderful touring exhibits and the great big lady upstairs.

The Scene
Created as an exact replica of the Parthenon in Athens for Tennessee's centennial celebration in 1897, the building houses Athena Parthenos, the largest piece of indoor sculpture in the Western world at 41 feet 10 inches tall. In the palm of that statue's hand stands Nike, a 6-foot goddess of victory. Downstairs, the Parthenon art galleries include the Cowan Collection, a permanent exhibit that contains works by William Merritt Chase and Winslow Homer. The gallery also hosts national touring exhibits.

The Experience
Even after 100 years, it's still a top choice to impress out-of-town visitors. Though the Frist Center gets most of the art world's attention, the Parthenon's collection is still worth a look. And so is the Athena statue, which is so mind-bogglingly huge that your jaw will drop.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #8

For the past few months I've been planning a road trip from NJ to Memphis and down the "Blues Highway" (Highway 61) down into Mississippi. Hopefully I'll have time to actually take the trip this year. I picked up the following books you might find useful for your trip:

http://www.amazon.com/000-Places-U-S-Canada-Before/dp/B001RTS8ZM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270192044&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Belly-Ultimate-Lovers-Companion/dp/1565125479/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270192291&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Trip-USA-Cross-Country-Adventures/dp/1598801015/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270192324&sr=1-1

The first book has been particularly helpful. Everyone has their own ideas about what they find interesting or exciting; for me it's historic sites, fun roads, and authentic local cuisine. This book points you to those don't miss places and gives you enough info to determine whether you'll really enjoy them.

For fun roads check out http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

After doing some research I think you'll wish you had a lot more than 3-5 days for your trip. A least you'll be able to make the most of the time you have. Most important, don't forget to stop for an authentic cheese steak at Pat's or Gino's in South Philly, and while you're at it make an appointment for a triple bypass down in Alabama.

Last edited by gschotland; 04-01-2010 at 11:24 PM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote