Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #1

B-Pillar micro switch (98661310102)

Does anyone know what this part accomplishes in connection with the convertible top? Thanks.

Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradster
Does anyone know what this part accomplishes in connection with the convertible top? Thanks.
It signals to the top control unit that the top is closed which then stops the motor.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #3

I was thinking that, but nothing even comes close to touching the switch, that is the "push" toggle on top. Do you know how it physically works? In other words, what exactly engages the switch? Would it stop the motor from turning on to start the top up process?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to figure it out and the parts suppliers have little to no knowledge and the service manual did not help much either.

Again, many thanks.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #4

Quote:
I was thinking that, but nothing even comes close to touching the switch, that is the "push" toggle on top. Do you know how it physically works? In other words, what exactly engages the switch? Would it stop the motor from turning on to start the top up process?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to figure it out and the parts suppliers have little to no knowledge and the service manual did not help much either.

Again, many thanks.
Brad:

The B-Pillar microswitch is toggled on and off by the lower part of the B-Pillar, which depresses the little silver lever as the top nears the completely closed position. That causes a signal to be sent to the convertible top double relay, which then sends a signal to the electric motor and that causes the electric motor to reverse direction.

If that little silver lever is bent at an angle sharper than normal, the electric motor will reverse before the convertible top is completely closed.

You can test this theory by pulling the B-Pillar microswitch little lever forward until you hear it click by hooking a little string behind the little silver lever. When you depress the dashboard switch, you will see that the motor (and the V-Levers) then reverse(s) direction.

The little black lever microswitch on top of the electric motor is what sends a signal to the relay to turn off power to the motor, following what Porsche calls an "after-running time" when that black lever is depressed by the clamshell closing down on it.

Here is a photo where you can see the tiny switch that the silver lever presses in:

Here is another photo that shows the microswitch installed and you can see the black metal lower section of the B-Pillar pushing up against the silver lever as the top is nearing its fully closed position (the red arrow is pointing to the silver lever):

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:31 AM   #5

Wow. Thanks for taking the time to reply, especially with the pictures. I'll jump on this today. Again, many thanks!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #6

I found the micro switch and it was engaged. I manually released the button and the top (motor) worked. The question is, the button was engaged as it is supposed to be, but the motor won't work until I released the button on the switch. Obviously, you can't be expected to remove the panel and release the switch manually every time you want the top up, so how is it supposed to work? Is there a reverse relay? Also, I would point out that the dash light does not go out even when the top is fully down. This is a new car to me so I am just trying to make the top work properly. I suppose I can just disable the micro switch. I had to bend the contact anyway.

Thanks. I am getting there, slowly but surely.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #7

Quote:
I found the micro switch and it was engaged. I manually released the button and the top (motor) worked. The question is, the button was engaged as it is supposed to be, but the motor won't work until I released the button on the switch. Obviously, you can't be expected to remove the panel and release the switch manually every time you want the top up, so how is it supposed to work? Is there a reverse relay? Also, I would point out that the dash light does not go out even when the top is fully down. This is a new car to me so I am just trying to make the top work properly. I suppose I can just disable the micro switch. I had to bend the contact anyway.

Thanks. I am getting there, slowly but surely.
Brad:

The reverse function is incorporated in the double relay that is in the relay tray in the kick panel, and it is triggered by the B-Pillar Microswitch.

Here is a photo of its location, with the red arrow pointing to it:

Your relay should have a small black triangle where you now see the small black square in the relay in the photo. If yours has this black square, you have the wrong ("B Version") relay installed.

The fact that your dash light is not going out when your top is fully down indicates that there is not a long enough "after-running time" measured from the moment that the black lever microswitch on top of the electric motor is depressed by the clamshell as it is closing down on top of it. The difference between enough and not enough time is measured in fractions of a second.

You could try to "fool" the double relay by successively adding 1/4 inch thick foam blocks onto the underside of the clamshell so that the black lever microswith is tripped slightly earlier and earlier as you keep adding to the thickness. That may result in the light going off, and, if your double relay is not faulty, it may resolve the other issue with the B-Pillar microswitch.

Regards, Maurice.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #8

Again, thank you Maurice. I hope that I can help someone else out one day as you have taken the time to help me with this issue.

Steve
Old 03-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Again, thank you Maurice. I hope that I can help someone else out one day as you have taken the time to help me with this issue.

Steve
Steve:

Anytime.

Let us know how you progress and/or if you get it completely resolved.

Regards, Maurice.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #10

Absolutely. My plan is to take apart the transmission to see if the squared cable is slipping on the left side. Once I do that I am going to realign the transmissions and see if it works.

Again, I could not have gone this far without your help. When complete, I'll file a full report in hopes that it might help someone else.

Steve
Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Absolutely. My plan is to take apart the transmission to see if the squared cable is slipping on the left side. Once I do that I am going to realign the transmissions and see if it works.

Again, I could not have gone this far without your help. When complete, I'll file a full report in hopes that it might help someone else.

Steve
Steve:

When you are ready to re-synch the transmissions, go to this link to get the starting point for re-synchronizing them:

Take a look at page 38 and the annotated photo on page 39 here:

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/BOXSTERConvtopconversionPARTIIIforma.pdf

Keep up the good work.

Regards, Maurice.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:13 AM   #12

Thanks, Maurice. I think I have discovered the root of the problem. I either have a bad gear in the right, passenger side, transmission, or the top motor will no longer accept the square cable. The top goes down perfectly, until about half way at which point there is a loud popping, which I assume to be the cable slipping or a gear in the transmission because the transmissions get out of synch. I'll keep looking.

By the way, those instructions you sent were fantastic. A lot easier to synch the transmissions that way, rather than removing the bolt. I might disconnect the push rod to the top, lower the top manually which just take seconds, and the close the clam shell. Ever heard of that before?

Thanks.

Steve
Old 03-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #13

Actually, the top is now toast. The v-bracket snapped in two. I thought the side of the car was going to blow apart Apparently, instead of opening while pressing the open switch, the closed tighter, hence the explosion. I can buy another for about $40, but I am convinced that an electric top in a car this small makes no sense, given the aggravation and expense. Working the top manually is faster than the electric process anyway, except, of course, for securing the clam shell.

Have you ever heard of anyone who has converted the top to manual (intentionally) and found a way to secure the clam shell tightly? Then I can just cover the idiot light and move on. This car is perfect otherwise, the it is no longer worth it to me if can figure out the clam shell problem.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I've had no problem with my 01 top whatsoever, and no part has ever snapped or broken on me. If you get it adjusted right, it rarely fails.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #15

I appreciate that this is an old thread, but could someone help me out and explain where this B pillar switch is please? The pictures are no longer working, probably due to the age of the thread.
I have a 2002 Boxster and cannot for the life of me see any microswitches in the B pillars, nor on top of the motor come to that.
Many thanks
Glenn
Glloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #16
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
This is a link to the factory parts catalog. Great resource for troubleshooting and taking things apart.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gUVtQYvav64U4tp_d9kATIHx0QWRfUAw/view
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #17
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glloyd View Post
I have a 2002 Boxster and cannot for the life of me see any microswitches in the B pillars, nor on top of the motor come to that. ...Glenn
In an '02 there is no B Pillar switch. The switch with that function is in the left side roof transmission.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #18

Brilliant! No wonder I couldn't find it!
Thank you for your help chaps.

Glloyd is offline   Reply With Quote