Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #1

Any trick to installing a muffler?

I just picked up a "S" muffler for my Boxster (I like the dual tips vs. the one big oval tip) and was looking under the car yesterday to see what all was involved in swapping them out. It all looks very straight forward except for the top mounting bracket.

Beats me as to the best way to get to those nuts. Any ideas or tips????

Thanks,

Jeff

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:26 PM   #2
Lux

I've heard that it can be done without removing the rear bumper. But I think most remove the rear bumper to make it easier.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
I just picked up a "S" muffler for my Boxster (I like the dual tips vs. the one big oval tip) and was looking under the car yesterday to see what all was involved in swapping them out. It all looks very straight forward except for the top mounting bracket.

Beats me as to the best way to get to those nuts. Any ideas or tips????

Thanks,

Jeff
There are two bolts that go into that top mounting bracket from the transmission. Once you remove those bolts along with undoing the exhaust clamps on each side of the muffler and the other mounting bolts, the muffler will come out with the top bracket attached without removing the rear bumper. I have done it twice, but I was also mystified about the top bracket until I discovered the transmission bolts. Once you have the muffler on the ground, you can transfer the top mounting bracket to your new muffler.
18" Wheels
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #4

I just went out and took another look. Yep, there are two bolts near the center of the top bracket that can be gotten to from the engine side from underneath. Doesn't look too hard now. I think I'll dive into it tomorrow night.

Thanks! :dance:
Old 03-28-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
Watch Freak

I'll warn you that the two U pipes that are on the sides of the muffler were the biggest pain in the ass to get on the new one. I put in my Cargraphic exhaust and it took several hours with a lift and all the right tools.
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:40 AM   #6

Since I'm just changing the stock base muffler for a stock "S" muffler, I don't think the side pipes will give me much grief.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Since I'm just changing the stock base muffler for a stock "S" muffler, I don't think the side pipes will give me much grief.
I went from the stock "S" muffler to the factory sport muffler and I spent most of the time on the clamps. After I finally had everything in place, I had one side blow off while on an afternoon ride. I finally had to cut off a bit of the pipe on that side so they would fit square in order for the clamps to get a solid bite. No problems since then.

Since they are both factory mufflers, I was surprised that there was a fit issue.

18" Wheels
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote