986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Any trick to installing a muffler? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2382-any-trick-installing-muffler.html)

Thumper 03-28-2005 09:45 AM

Any trick to installing a muffler?

I just picked up a "S" muffler for my Boxster (I like the dual tips vs. the one big oval tip) and was looking under the car yesterday to see what all was involved in swapping them out. It all looks very straight forward except for the top mounting bracket.

Beats me as to the best way to get to those nuts. Any ideas or tips????

Thanks,

Jeff

Lux 03-28-2005 06:26 PM

I've heard that it can be done without removing the rear bumper. But I think most remove the rear bumper to make it easier.

-

jerhofer 03-28-2005 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper
I just picked up a "S" muffler for my Boxster (I like the dual tips vs. the one big oval tip) and was looking under the car yesterday to see what all was involved in swapping them out. It all looks very straight forward except for the top mounting bracket.

Beats me as to the best way to get to those nuts. Any ideas or tips????

Thanks,

Jeff

There are two bolts that go into that top mounting bracket from the transmission. Once you remove those bolts along with undoing the exhaust clamps on each side of the muffler and the other mounting bolts, the muffler will come out with the top bracket attached without removing the rear bumper. I have done it twice, but I was also mystified about the top bracket until I discovered the transmission bolts. Once you have the muffler on the ground, you can transfer the top mounting bracket to your new muffler.

Thumper 03-28-2005 07:44 PM

I just went out and took another look. Yep, there are two bolts near the center of the top bracket that can be gotten to from the engine side from underneath. Doesn't look too hard now. I think I'll dive into it tomorrow night.

Thanks! :dance:

Stryke 03-28-2005 08:07 PM

I'll warn you that the two U pipes that are on the sides of the muffler were the biggest pain in the ass to get on the new one. I put in my Cargraphic exhaust and it took several hours with a lift and all the right tools. :(

Thumper 03-29-2005 05:40 AM

Since I'm just changing the stock base muffler for a stock "S" muffler, I don't think the side pipes will give me much grief.

jerhofer 03-29-2005 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper
Since I'm just changing the stock base muffler for a stock "S" muffler, I don't think the side pipes will give me much grief.

I went from the stock "S" muffler to the factory sport muffler and I spent most of the time on the clamps. After I finally had everything in place, I had one side blow off while on an afternoon ride. I finally had to cut off a bit of the pipe on that side so they would fit square in order for the clamps to get a solid bite. No problems since then.

Since they are both factory mufflers, I was surprised that there was a fit issue.