Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

storage compartment

Hi all,

Thanks for all the great info I've found in these forums. Great resource for a newb like me.

I recently bought and 07 Boxster and was looking to add the rear storage compartment. Does a 986 storage box fit a 987? They look the same but wanted to check with you all. Had not seen installation instructions either, so I'd assume it's fairly straightforward.

Appreciate any feedback you have on that. Once I get the storage box in, I'll be starting on the speaker kit etc, but I've got all the details from previous posts on that.

Matt

TX07Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The 986 rear storage box will not work in a 987. Almost, everything between the 986 and 987 is different, even though they look remarkably similar. Also, the standard speaker kits you see on eBay are for the 986, so make sure you buy the right one.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #3

thx!

thanks for the quick reply. Since they are so similar, how can you tell the difference if shopping for a pre-owned box? I know most sellers indicate 986/987, but if not labeled, wanted to know what to look for.
TX07Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am sure there are physical differences, but I couldn't tell you what they are. However, if you locate the part number, which should be found stamped on the bottom of the box, the number will start with either 986 or 987 indicating which model it is for.
Also, if the 987 box mounts like the 986 box, it takes about 10 seconds to install, there are just two latches.