Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2005, 09:21 AM   #1

Would you buy this ???

Boxster Afficonados

I found a 2001 Boxster S
with 37,000 miles

I can get it for $24,000

The only problem is the Car Fax has stated it was in an accident 1.5 years ago

and

Air bags deployed

The Porsche looks clean
but
I am not sure

Thanks

Mark
u1-2go

u1-2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Welcome to the site

See if you can get a more detailed report. CarFax catches big things, but often times I and others on this board have discovered that it misses more than it catches. Because of the low pricing, I would wonder the full extent of the damage from the accident.

I speak from experience...cars bought after a major accident (whether you knew about it or not..grrr...) can have problems far after the original damage is fixed. It seems that every month or two something "new" happens to my car, and I think I can relate it all the way back to an accident I found out about using Lexis Nexis, which wasn't reported by carfax.

Not trying to scare you, but BE CAREFUL!

:dance:

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #3

No! The accident follows your Porsche around like a curse.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:55 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Okay, Rich, you're a bit more to the point, haha.

Dang it...I had hoped my car wasn't cursed...

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #5

Wreck = watch out

A small fender-bender is never really an issue, but anything that involves serious damage (frame, airbags, etc.) will usually haunt you for a looooong time.

A friend of mine has a '97 BMW 528i that was in a horrible ($7000+ repair) side-impact accident almost 4 years ago. A month ago one of his main axle-to-chassis bolts (I forget the name, but it was about 6 inches long and an inch in diameter) sheared - the mechanic said in 20 years of servicing BMWs he'd never seen that happen. Two weeks later his front right lower control arm just split in half... I know BMWs have their issues (we're on our second), but these kinds of structural issues have got to be at least partially related to the wreck.
Rowag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:21 AM   #6

Hey Subanez, could you PM me who you used for your Lexis Nexis search? I'd like one done on a particular care, and I'm having trouble finding someone that uses Lexis Nexis that can do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subanez
Welcome to the site

See if you can get a more detailed report. CarFax catches big things, but often times I and others on this board have discovered that it misses more than it catches. Because of the low pricing, I would wonder the full extent of the damage from the accident.

I speak from experience...cars bought after a major accident (whether you knew about it or not..grrr...) can have problems far after the original damage is fixed. It seems that every month or two something "new" happens to my car, and I think I can relate it all the way back to an accident I found out about using Lexis Nexis, which wasn't reported by carfax.

Not trying to scare you, but BE CAREFUL!

:dance:

-Kevin
Rowag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #7

Talking

Sorry but once an accident has hit the Car Fax system it is not dropping off. That is the killer for you at resale.

The hard part is that an accident is an accident to Car Fax. Could be nothing, could be near totalled. So, I always err on the side of caution.

To wit, I passed on a 911 at the auction that was a screaming deal but the CF indicated a past accident.

Kiss of death to a car dealer.

Hey, wait for the next one and there is always a next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subanez
Okay, Rich, you're a bit more to the point, haha.

Dang it...I had hoped my car wasn't cursed...
Old 03-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #8

Boxster Aficonados

Thanks you for the info

In the car fax was a police report
Is this public record ( can I get the details) ???

Anyway

The dealer gave me my deposit back
( funny thing, when I test drove the salesman gave the wrong key) bad omen ??

I drove up to Tampa today to look at a 2000 S with tiptronic

They wanted $29,000 ( low miles and certified)

Dam, this Porsche " BUG" is hard to shake

On the hunt and hungry

Mark
u1-2go
u1-2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:54 PM   #9

Good luck. Patience my friend, patience. The right one IS out there!

BTW-I have a beauty of a 2002 S for $33900. See my ad in the classifed.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:10 AM   #10

2go: I'd rather pay a mild premium, or at least a fair price for a great car, than one too cheap. Besides, if you wanted a specific year with Porsche pink carpets - there's a damn good chance one would pop up somewhere within a cheap plane ticket. In Dec/Jan there were about 500 01's in my price range.

jim
wetsuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:41 AM   #11

Rich, I know from personal experience how CF can be the kiss of death. My fender bender (or, more accurately, hood bender) made it to CF and if I sell it now I will have to offer a big discount, even though it's been throughly checked by two seperate shops and both confirmed that there was no non-supeficial damage. But I can understand any buyer staying away from the car. There is always that "you never know" factor and alot of people are (justifiably) wary of incurring additional repair costs, especially at porsche prices. What really pisses me off is that the bonehead who backed into my car, or her insurance company, doesn't have to compensate me for the value lost due to the accident, which far exceeds the amount of money it took to replace the dented hood.
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:23 AM   #12

I backed into my dads BMW when the car was only 2 days old! I was so angry. I was creeping back extra slow luckily so it only make a 1 inche scratch on the rear 1/4 panel. Really it was hardly noticable but since I only had the car for 48 hours I could do nothing but focus on the scratch. I took the car to a local body shop and they fixed the problem. I made them respray the the panel because I wanted it to be good as new. It was a 350 dollar booboo. Anywho, I never intend on selling the car, but would something like that be in car fax? No insurance was claimed.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I backed into my dads BMW when the car was only 2 days old! I was so angry. I was creeping back extra slow luckily so it only make a 1 inche scratch on the rear 1/4 panel. Really it was hardly noticable but since I only had the car for 48 hours I could do nothing but focus on the scratch. I took the car to a local body shop and they fixed the problem. I made them respray the the panel because I wanted it to be good as new. It was a 350 dollar booboo. Anywho, I never intend on selling the car, but would something like that be in car fax? No insurance was claimed.
Probably not, ussually stuff from insurance or police reports show up. Alot of accidents never show up on carfax. But I also heard it is possible for incidents that never happened or incorrect mileage to accidentally show up on carfax because it is just manually entered by people. I purchased my car, even though it had an accident with a deer reported on carfax. I got it checked out by the head mechanic at my local Porsche dealership and they couldn't find any structural damage or problems and the bodywork was phenominal.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Good luck. Patience my friend, patience. The right one IS out there!

BTW-I have a beauty of a 2002 S for $33900. See my ad in the classifed.
If you ever come across a 2003 S in that similar price range... do let me know. But then again I'd have to fly all the way over to the west coast...
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #15

If you are looking for an S model I have to vouch big time for manual gear box.
You lose some performance in between shifts with the tiptronic shifting.
This is the point where the Boxster instant torque delivery is most noticeable.
YOu'd never miss it if you never had it, but I doubt most people will point this out to you before you buy. The first time I went through the gears during the test drive I nearly jumped out the car screaming, my salivary glands actually kicked in I tried to keep my poker face in front of the sales man. But I was the first to drive this thing in earnest(it was on a used car lot with no other Porsches) so we were both amazed.

I personally think its in the spirit of Porsche to have a standard 6 speed transmission with a really loud engine. I want the full effect.

DOn't ever buy a car that has been in a collision. Even a minor one, you never know what problems exist that no one is yet aware of.
Sports cars are not SUV's they are easy to get out whack and compromise.
They really need to be looked after.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-28-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:27 PM   #16

Talking

"Anywho, I never intend on selling the car, but would something like that be in car fax? No insurance was claimed."

No, not a chance! Only the really really big ones with insurance claims make Car Fax and some do not even make it then.

Auto Check is more rigorous on the accident issues.

Not to worry!
Old 03-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #17
Watch Freak

I would encourage you to take a serious look at my car which is now for sale if you want a clean Boxster S with tons of extras and low miles.
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:46 PM   #18

I must agree with Stryke... his car is SWEET and you should at least look into buying it, even if you have to fly across the country or have it shipped. He's made it such a nice ride!

Let me go on the record by showing this:

I have a beat up 1997 and wish like crazy I'd saved up for and bought a 2000 S!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:18 AM   #19

After talking to Rowag for a bit, I decided to shed a little light for some people on this board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Sorry but once an accident has hit the Car Fax system it is not dropping off.
Sorry to break it to you buddy but you are wrong.
Car Fax can be changed and I have seen it with my own eyes. Now I'm not saying just anyone can. Also, a touched record generally leaves a clue to the trained eye. Typically you need a lot of resources to alter a record, so don't think its a common thing. Unless your some large "luxury" car dealership in the chicagoland area (who's purpose is not to sell cars), some of you know who I'm talking about.
Lets just say, a car fax report acts simular to a credit report (if you know what I mean then great, if not then too bad). I'll just leave it at that.

Just remember to not ONLY rely on a car fax, use your own gut instinct and go look, tough, feel, and drive the car first.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:30 AM   #20

Amen!

Didn't know a carfax report could be washed like credit reports, but it makes sense. Just goes to show you that X amount of cash can make anything on paper or on a computer mysteriously change before one's eyes.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote