Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 04:24 AM   #21

Completely ignoring

damage to your ears over time from the louder sound (and the louder sound system setting)

and

damage to the atmosphere as you add more pollution to it.

Plus I know someone with a dyno who went through dozens of combinations of exhaust component setups before they found a combination that actually gave gains over the entire useful RPM range. It isn't as easy as just taking one from column a and one from column b because their characteristics may cancel each other out.

If I were to want more sound, I'd use Pedro's mod as it is cheap and reversible in a minute by inserting a plug. So if it turns out you don't like it, you can retreat. Or, if you are in an area where such sound is inappropriate (a funeral procession or ...) you can quiet the car to stock.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #22

relative merits

Contemplating a set of headers with sport cats to brighten up the coming winter. Hope to soon have a slightly used Fabspeed catback system at my disposal, but I doubt I'll luck into a similar deal on the headers, so...
If I'm laying out top dollar for new headers to pimp my ride, can anybody comment on the NHP headers with sport cats vs the Fabspeed headers with sport cats. They look pretty similar on paper/monitor. The FS unit comes at quite a price premium, does it have any special attributes to warrant this? Internet research hasn't been particularly helpful, other than to confirm the general good regard in which Fabspeed is held.
JD - I know you are quite the fan of the FS product, can you tell me why I should pay so much more for the FS headers as compared to NHP?
Anyone out there with experience, positive or negative, that might inform my decision?
Also, for people who have done this, how high is the likelihood of me shearing off a bolt at the header flange while removing the old headers? Is this job something I should pass off to a "real" mechanic who is prepared to drill and tap if necessary?
Thanks guys.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #23

Maurice - your link regarding header bolts at the end of your post brings up a site (PBBB) with some message about being shut down by commies, and a notice that I am not authorized to see whatever is there. Maybe I'm just not seeing whatever is necessary to find your reference.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Maurice - your link regarding header bolts at the end of your post brings up a site (PBBB) with some message about being shut down by commies, and a notice that I am not authorized to see whatever is there. Maybe I'm just not seeing whatever is necessary to find your reference.
I just tried it and the link still works, but you have to sign in and it then brings you to the exact page for the thread.

A few years ago there were some heated disagreements between supporters of the different schools of political thought and PPBB ("Porsche Pete's Boxster Board) was shut down by the guy who had been running it since the passing of the original Porsche Pete ("Chuck Hammersmith"). Nonetheless the archives are still accessible and have tons of valuable information.

I believe you can still sign in and create an account to access the archives, even if you were not a member when the site was fully operational. If you can't get in there let me know and I'll see if I can find the write-up I did in my files and send it to you.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Contemplating a set of headers with sport cats to brighten up the coming winter. Hope to soon have a slightly used Fabspeed catback system at my disposal, but I doubt I'll luck into a similar deal on the headers, so...
If I'm laying out top dollar for new headers to pimp my ride, can anybody comment on the NHP headers with sport cats vs the Fabspeed headers with sport cats. They look pretty similar on paper/monitor. The FS unit comes at quite a price premium, does it have any special attributes to warrant this? Internet research hasn't been particularly helpful, other than to confirm the general good regard in which Fabspeed is held.
JD - I know you are quite the fan of the FS product, can you tell me why I should pay so much more for the FS headers as compared to NHP?
Anyone out there with experience, positive or negative, that might inform my decision?
Also, for people who have done this, how high is the likelihood of me shearing off a bolt at the header flange while removing the old headers? Is this job something I should pass off to a "real" mechanic who is prepared to drill and tap if necessary?
Thanks guys.
I have the NHPs on my 3.6 Box & they are fine for it. I own a pair of fabspeeds for a 987 & they are better quality & design, but my budget does not provide the extra $1300 for 5-10 HP. Less of a difference for a 3.2L engine. I believe you will be happy with either. As for the header bolts, soak overnite with good rust penatrant, then using a quality (Snap-On) 6 point socket loosen each bolt before removing any bolts. If any bolts resist coming loose retighten all bolts & take car to mechanic to remove stubborn bolts. After bolts are removed very easy job!

Last edited by BYprodriver; 09-11-2013 at 09:23 AM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #26

Maurice & Bypro - thanks for the feedback. Collective wisdom via this great forum may be the most valuable tool in my kit.