Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #1

Pheasant Run, St. Charles IL this summer?

I saw in the recent edition of Panorama that the Porsche parade is at Pheasant Run in St. Charles IL, which is like 10 minutes from where I live.

Just curious, how many of you from this forum are planning on attending? I think it's the 4th of July week.

It looks a bit pricey - is it worth it?

-Steve

JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #2

Some of us from the northern suburbs will wander down, but not in an "official" capacity. The 4th Holiday is difficult for me because my family and I are always out of town in Elkhart Lake WI. My friend, John, is Chief Concours Judge, so I must go visit him at least one day (definitely not judging day!)

Unless you plan to participate or want dinner, you can still observe w/o registering; or better yet, volunteer to help out!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
We're planning to attend. We always have a great time at Parade and look forward to seeing all the friends we've made over the years.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #4

Parade?

Silly question, why do they call it a parade? Is it really a parade? from what I saw in Panorama it looked like just a bunch of events...

Just curious,
-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 AM   #5

From the PCA website...

"The term “Parade” evolved in August 1956, when 64 enthusiastic entrants gathered at a suburban Washington, D.C. motel for four days of Porsche enjoyment and friendship. A “parade” of Porsches through the countryside caused everyone to refer to the event as the Parade and the name has stuck. The current size of our convention makes a true parade of cars logistically difficult but we still do it when we can, and it is always a sight to see."
Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #6

How about doing us a favor and keep this bumped to the top, or bump it back when it gets closer. Too early for most of us to make plans.
Maybe you can get Rich to sticky it?? I did enjoy Chitown a couple of years ago when daughter and I went for a week.
Gonna try to make it to the Cafe and Cars event in Orlando, FL this month - 2/27
Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #7

I read in Excellence that they had an autocross at the last parade. Will they have one in St. Charles as well?

*edit* a quick google search confirmed they will have auto-x there. Might just have to go check this out. Here is the list of events.

http://parade2010.pca.org/schedule.html

Last edited by Adam; 02-09-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #8

Maybe you guys can clear a couple things up. Do you have to register for the show in order to compete in the autocross? I'm not going to pay $149 to be in a car show + pay $30 to autocross. I just want to autocross and pay my $30 like every other autocross. Also, do you have to be a PCA member in order to autcross as well? Wow, major cha-ching for for the PCA. I surely hope not otherwise thanks but no thanks. I'm going to email the guy heading up the autocross and see what he says.

Last edited by Adam; 02-09-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
You must be registered for the Parade to have a chance to autocross. Sometimes the Parade fills up and not everyone who wants to register is accepted.

Bottom line if you want to autocross apply for the Parade between 3/9 to 3/11 and include the fee for the autocross and hope for the best.

From the Parade site:

Registration for the 2010 Porsche Parade opens on Tuesday, March 9th 2010. All registrations entered on-line or postmarked before midnight Thursday March 11h will receive equal priority

In the unlikely event that your registration is not accepted, you will receive a full refund. In case of Parade over-subscription, the formula in the Region Procedures Manual will be used to determine entrants.

Everyone signing up for the Parade must pay an entrant fee of $149, which covers the entrant and co-entrant. Entrants and co-entrants must be PCA Members, but they need not be family or affiliate members. This fee pays for your admittance to all non-competitive events, registration materials, goodie bag, etc.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 02-09-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
You must be registered for the Parade to have a chance to autocross. Sometimes the Parade fills up and not everyone who wants to register is accepted.

Bottom line if you want to autocross apply for the Parade between 3/9 to 3/11 and include the fee for the autocross and hope for the best.

From the Parade site:

Registration for the 2010 Porsche Parade opens on Tuesday, March 9th 2010. All registrations entered on-line or postmarked before midnight Thursday March 11h will receive equal priority

In the unlikely event that your registration is not accepted, you will receive a full refund. In case of Parade over-subscription, the formula in the Region Procedures Manual will be used to determine entrants.

Everyone signing up for the Parade must pay an entrant fee of $149, which covers the entrant and co-entrant. Entrants and co-entrants must be PCA Members, but they need not be family or affiliate members. This fee pays for your admittance to all non-competitive events, registration materials, goodie bag, etc.
Paul, this isn't what the PCA autocross chair told me ealier today via email. He said you have to be a PCA member to participate in the autocross, but you do not have to register and be in the Parade in order to enter the autocross. Anybody with $30, a PCA membership, and a Porsche can autocross at the event according to him.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
That is very different than the last 9 Parades I've attended, but the autocross chair is the best source of info.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #12

Keep in mind this is the very first "Parade" that National is managing...prior Parades where all up to the region to coordinate. There may be different rules applicable since National is calling the shots.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #13

Im about 30 minutes from St. Charles and the resort... ive been there many many times for other events. If I have to register for the parade to be able to auto x Im not even going to bother to go probably.

I dont need to be in a car show, hell.. my car will come in somewhere near the bottom anyways because I actually drive the car how it was meant to be driving. She's not exactly showroom quality anymore and I dont need to pay $149 to show that to other people, Ill just pass them on the street.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile..._4015248_n.jpg
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #14

Chicago Region is also doing a DE at Autobahn (full-course) on Friday. It's not part of the Parade, so it doesn't require you to be registered for the parade. If I can get Friday off, I will likely do the DE. If it's true that you don't have to register to do the auto-x, I'll do that too (assuming I'm off work).
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Hi Paul,

Forgive me but I'm not sure what you mean by "participate" in the autocross. If you mean can you drive your car in the Parade autocross event without being registered for the Parade, the answer is no. However, if you are asking if you can be a volunteer worker at the autocross without registering for Parade, I believe the answer is yes.

Did that answer you question? If so, which case were asking about?

I hope to see you in St. Charles!

Cheers,
Henry
PCA Parade - Autox Chair
Old 02-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I believe the confusion occurred since "the show" and "the Parade" were not understood clearly.

The show is usually considered to be the Concours for which there is a fee to show your car and you must be registered for the Parade.

So you can run the autocross if you are registered for the Parade, but you do not have to do or pay for the "show".
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #17

Ok, thanks for clearing that up Paul. Henry sent me another email and there was some confusion that he clarified. As you said there is a concours event going on at the "parade" as well that caused some confusion. Anybody who wants to participate in the autocross must pay the $149 registration fee + pay the $30 autocross entry fee. You must also be a PCA member.

Last edited by Adam; 02-11-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #18

Hmm. I guess if I'm going to spend $200, I'll go to the DE at Autobahn.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 AM   #19

I'll likely be at Autobahn since I instruct with Chicago PCA and also instruct for LAPS Inc, which is based at Autobahn.

The Parade Concours is quite a show...you do not need to register to go and have a look at some magnificently prepared Porsches. We in the Chicago Region are quite fortunate to have several National Parade winners available to us for sharing their knowledge and passion. John Takehara (who moved from out region a few years back) is the National Concours Judge and has won numerous events. Pat Yanahan, Jim Jacisin and John Diwik are all National winners and teach in our region, as well.

I used to be a concours guy, but fell in love with tracking many years ago (I still keep up on the tips and tricks though).

Auto-X is fun, but too much standing around for me.