Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #1

Smile Ignition Switch Removal

My 2001 Boxster has developed a 'sticky and stiff" ignition switch - the ignition key is hard to turn. Can anybody tell me how to remove the ignition switch so I can take it out and give it a spray / clean out. I think a clean and a spray of lock lube will fix it.

ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuujin
My 2001 Boxster has developed a 'sticky and stiff" ignition switch - the ignition key is hard to turn... I think a clean and a spray of lock lube will fix it.
Not likely, at least not for long. The starter switch (electrical portion of ignition switch) is notorious for failure and starts exactly as you describe.

Replacement switch is cheap - Audi, Mayle generic = same-same as OEM Porsche. Cost - $20USD (more if OEM).

The procedure takes about 15 min. Remove Heater tube, remove 'locking' paint from small straight screws. Pull electrical connector, unscrew starter switch. Replace switch and tighten screws, replace connector, replace heater tube - done.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:32 AM   #3

Replaced Mine still Sticky

I've replaced my electrical portion of the switch twice now since I've owned the car and I still get a sticky start to crank. The body shop had the car a few weeks ago and they even called to see if I left the right key. But if you just give it a little more and turn it'll crank. I know they released the new lock mechanism, is that what it would take to fix the sticky key issue?
EJ_2001_986_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #4

Thumbs up ignition switch

Thanks for the advice - guess I will change the electrical part as suggested.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #5

Here's Pedro's walk through with pictures. I'm planning on doing this tonight if Fedex comes through! And the switch was $11 at pelican parts I think.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #6

Thanks to ARmoden

GREAT! Many thanks to ARModen. That makes things a whole easier. I now have the confidence to tackle this job. I know its only a simple repalcement but the thought of 'mucking around' with my prize possession was a little daunting - but now, it;s no trouble at all. I'm constanly amazed at the level of assistance and advice that is freely given and shared on this forum - lets keep it up!

thanks to all
Old 01-31-2010, 08:00 AM   #7

One thing, make sure you have a very short screw driver. I did this job the other day and the hardest part definitely was the set screws on the sides of the switch. Also the audi part from Pelican may not be a 1 for 1 swap.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #8

Switch install

Got my new switch and will install sometime when I get around to it. Can anyone tell me how long the screwdriver needs to be? I don't want to cut it too short. To lazy to rip the car apart to find out. I park outside under a car cover and it is cold and wet here.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Can anyone tell me how long the screwdriver needs to be?
Check my post from two years ago!
DIY ignition switch screwdriver
Old 02-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #10

Garage
I did mine this summer on an 02 base and followed Pedro's instructions. the small screw driver should be about 3" or so, that's what mine was and it took me about 45 minutes, but I went slow and checked instructions many times. Now that I've done it, I could do it in about 20 minutes. It's nice when we share. Good luck.

cribfiller is offline   Reply With Quote