Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #1

New noise, but only after car is fully warmed up...

Last night after coming home from the CVR board meeting I noticed a new sound coming from the engine, like a grinding sound I'd associate with a bearing starting to go. The next morning I fired it up and there was no noise so I've taken it to work today. It was pretty quiet till I got it in (about 30 minute drive).

The sound is there with or without the clutch engaged so it is definitely the engine. The water pump is fairly new (about 10k on it) so I plan on pulling the front cover tonight when I get home. I was unable to find any other posts with a similar issue.

I'll re-post once I open it up but has anyone experience this? Most posts I found involved ticking or squealing and this isn't.

Thanks
Chris

Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #2

Took a listen and took the belt off and indeed it is the water pump. It's grinding and has play. I had it replaced last year in February but luckily the place I bring it from time to time is going to warranty it.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #3

Is that an aftermarket or OEM water pump? I'll know which one not to buy... 10K and shot, wow!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:20 AM   #4

I don't believe it is aftermarket. He typically only buys OEM when possible and I remember asking about it. Mainly at the time I was curious if he was going to use oem because of the plastic splines. More likely it is a rebuilt that didn't get done properly.

Chris