Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

Schnell short shifter

I installed the Schnell Short Shift kit in my 987 today (2/06/10).
It was not too bad of a job, except for one detail, and it took about 3.5 hours.
I did pics and instructions in DIY section, which took a good hour longer than the job!!

I like it quite allot, so far. Only drove it home from the shop (25 miles) and a bit around the area.
It has some more effort required for shifts, but not much, and it feels a little more "notchy" than stock, but this takes some explanation:
It has more feel to it than the stock unit and feels WAYYYYYY more precise. There is no doubt which gear you are going into and what I sometimes call "feeling like a stick in a can of grease" is definitely gone.
For those who like the effortless, if not real precise, feel of the stock shifter, this unit is not for you.
I'm definitely "behind" on clutch engagement on a "normal" shift, as the throw is that much shorter. I would say (without actual measurement) from first gear to second gear is only about four inches at the top of the shift knob.
The left to right movement between gates is not much shorter than stock, but when I saw how the assembly is made, I knew it couldn't be. Not much an aftermarket company can do with this.

Before you buy one for your 987, read through my DIY thread and MAKE SURE the shift knob issue is addressed with the latest version.

Now it's time to take off for my favorite "twisty road" and report back.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #2

I did about 150 miles yesterday. Most around town, as I had an appointment to have the airbag system reset and the guys at Brumos were very kind, as always, in doing it as a favor. Also ran down and saw some friends and just made a day of it. Hit a couple of my "run roads" on the way home.
So, in trying to be as honest as possible in my opinion:
When cold, the shifter was quite stiff going into 1st gear and 1st to 2nd shifts. It didn't take long to warm up, but it was definitely noticable.
When bopping around in traffic it was not bad, and downshifts really do seem much more precise and really effortless, nearly as much as the OEM set-up. Nuetral to first, setting at a light is definitely more effort than stock. I will have to admit, a little annoying at times. 1st to 2nd is also a bit stiff for my liking. I'm not sure why, other than maybe Porsche has that shift a bit tighter in the box because of the tendency of people to rush it. Rest of the way up the gears, it's a real pleasure and as I said above downshifting is suuuwweeeeeeet!!
On the twisty "run roads", OMG, it is awsome!!!! The shifter is sooooooo much more precise and much quicker, without rushing anything. It didn't take long to adjust my clutch timing to the quicker shifts, but just the fact that I needed to told me volumes. I can't say enough about the precision shifts and the complete loss of ANY worry which gear I was in. Full throttle and quick clutch engagement was instantly second nature, with zero concern that it was remotely possible I had not selected the proper gear. Likewise on downshifts, no concern I had missed anything and that alone made quick throttle blips with instant engagement turn downshifts into a piano concerto a deaf man would kill for!!
I am in heaven!!

Last edited by Quickurt; 02-14-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #3

I installed the B&M Short Shifter on my 986 a few years ago and am extremely pleased with it. From what I recall, installation was very straight forward and took only about an hour or so.

What a difference! Shift throws are crisp, tight, and very short. I love it!

Allen is offline   Reply With Quote