Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Porsche wins Daytona Rolex 24

The same Riley chassis that won last year's Rolex 24, this year was fitted with a Cayenne based V8 built by Lazzano.
It was crewed basically by the Brumos crew and this car is the #58 Brumos car that won last year with the Porsche flat 6.
Cudos to Bob Johnson and his brand new team! What a way to start a race team career!!
Mazda RX8 won the GT class, but let's face it, the rules are written so heavily against the GT3's, I'm surprised they are competitive at all.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #2

great race, i'm surprised the wife watched so much with me.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:05 PM   #3

Once the Cayenne is discarded, the V8 is pretty useful!

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #4

Too bad Porsche doesn't recognize this as an "official" win, since they did not build or supply the power plant. Nice to see a team like Johnson's beat Ganassi at his game.

I'm surprised the RX8 won...I'd assumed Grand Am did everything to insure the "Camaro Frankenstien" would win.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 02-01-2010 at 05:45 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #5

Once the rain cleared up is was a fun race to watch. It was a win-win for me, I'm both a Porsche fan and a Mazda fan

The GT class should prove to be as exciting (as it can be) with the introduction of the Camaro and BMWs, but it is darn near a spec Porsche & Mazda class this year!

I didn't take nearly as many photos this year, probably because of the rain, I still need to go through and process them this evening. The PCA car coral was packed with so many great looking rides!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
Once the rain cleared up is was a fun race to watch. It was a win-win for me, I'm both a Porsche fan and a Mazda fan

The GT class should prove to be as exciting (as it can be) with the introduction of the Camaro and BMWs, but it is darn near a spec Porsche & Mazda class this year!

I didn't take nearly as many photos this year, probably because of the rain, I still need to go through and process them this evening. The PCA car coral was packed with so many great looking rides!
So you went even considering the rain! Good for you. My wife commented at breakfast yesterday that not too many years ago, I would have been there, rain or shine..........
And your point?
The only thing really still missing from Speed coverage is the sound. Which cars sounded the best??
Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #7

The DP cars all sound the same, it's the GT class where the motors get more unique. I'm a mazda fanboy, so I always get a kick out of the screaming rotary RX8's . But the new GT Camaro (re-bodied Potiacs from last year) and the GT BMW M6 both have great sounding motors, throaty and chest pounding horsepower haha.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #8

Alright, not a lot of great photos this year, but if your interested here is the link to my 2010 Rolex 24 Hrs of Daytona Photos

PCA car coral was packed:

TRG Gave us a little Garage and trailer tour:

Rolex at dusk

Old 02-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #9

Was the weather as miserable as it looked?
For 10 to 12 years running, I never missed the 24 hour or Sebring.
About 8 of those years, Daytona was the coldest, most miserable weekend of the north Florida year.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 AM   #10

It was not as pleasant as last year, that is for sure.
I am home with a miserable cold and I am sure the inclement weather this weekend contributed.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:37 AM   #11

What is the cafe and cars schedule for Feb.?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #12

^ Saturday February 27