Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
pez

Send a message via AIM to pez Send a message via Yahoo to pez
BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDW2

Is anyone using these, if so how do you like them?

I haven’t decided if I want to put the Pilot’s on again..

pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #2

which Pilot's do you have?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
pez

I currently have the Pilot Sport rib’s and I have really no complaints, I just have seen some better traction specs on the BF’s. I would like to try some autocrossing this summer so I thought I’d look around at some Yoko’s and BF’s as well.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #4

here is my advice.

do at least 6 autocross events before you decide on new tires. The learning curve cut result in damage/wear to new tires that could compromise their performance for the rest of the season. I didn't change to upgraded tires until about two solid months of Autocrossing. Basically until I got to the point where I could no longer take a turn at anything above 45mph without the back end stepping out. But for street use they were fine as you will very rarely have to turn in such a manner.
Regular street tires have a point at which they start to lose all of its performance driving edge.

I guarantee You'll see things very very differently after 6 events.

You'll meet other Porsche owners who will have quite a bit of advice for you.

You have to decide whether you want a good street tire that is decent in autocross
or
like me, you want a good autocross tire that is decent for street use. And then change over to winter suitable tires once Autocross/track season is over in November.

or

if you really like autocross and have the space/time, upgrade to dedicated wheels and tires for autocross which you change after each event.

by the way, the different pilot sports apparently behave very differently from each other in Autocross. Since my daily commute is very short (five minutes each way) I'm considering the Toyo Proxes RA-1 which is really good for Autocross and not bad in the wet. Autocross specific tires like the Falken Azenis and Kumho Victoracer are bad over standing water/puddles and hydroplane. They also slow you down from let's say stop light because of the increased grip. Its a trade off, slower 0-60 time for 'on rails' cornering grip.
But the Pilot SPort2 and cup's seem to be very very popular for double duty.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-22-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #5
pez

Thanks for the great advice, makes sense to burn the currant ones down then new ones during the learning curve! (Sounds obvious in hindsight)
Old 03-23-2005, 07:06 PM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Autocross specific tires like the Falken Azenis and Kumho Victoracer are bad over standing water/puddles and hydroplane. They also slow you down from let's say stop light because of the increased grip. Its a trade off, slower 0-60 time for 'on rails' cornering grip.
Can you say more about this? I could easily understand it if the tires were actually coated with adhesive (so they'd have to be basically "pulled" off the pavement) - they'd "stick" great in corners but be much harder to turn. But if the compound is just softer, how does it affect acceleration? In a way, I'd expect it to make it better, as you'd get less wheel spin from the greater traction...
Old 03-24-2005, 06:55 AM   #7

well I'm not so sure that they are that much softer. Those Autcross specific tires have insanely stiff sidewalls which substantially increase the weight, which could explain the reduced straight line acceleration. But the reduction wasn't just marginal it was significant. Perhaps its something to do with tire temps as well. I noticed in between Autocross runs that car was susbtantially quicker out of first gear than when the car had to sit for a while and the tires got cold again.

I mounted my BBS RK (20 pounds) with Kuhmo Ecsta Supra's which were roughly the same weight as my Autocross wheels(12.5 pounds) with Falken Azenis. Both were about 40 pounds but the straightline acceleration of the BBS wheels was much much better. But those Kuhmo tires were absolutely a nightmare on the Autcross course. More like drifting tires