Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #1

Fading clutch symptoms

what are symptoms of a clutch slipping?

On previous cars I would notice the 'clutch shake' in between gears. Not the case with the Boxster but birthday number 10 is coming up fast with about 65K miles on the odometer. I'm noticing some some jerky revs around 3K RPM and acceleration is sluggish right slowing down. Although couple of the 02 sensors need to come out.

p.s.
What are you guys paying for a new cluch job? I checked with my dealer and they quoted......$3K. I think the Porsche Indy down the road is getting that one.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #2

Test #1 - In 4th gear, gently push in the clutch until it is fully disengaged. Then let the pedal slowly up until you can just feel it fully engaged. The shorter the distance and the sharper the action between these 2 points, the older the clutch

Test #2 – disengage while in 4th or 5th, and with some acceleration (3-4000 rpm), see if the clutch grips when you let up the pedal. If it’s sharp in operation or doesn’t grip fully, then replacement is due
Old 01-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #3

Garage
my clutch test

Not sure if this is valid on a porsche but i know on my past vehicles the clutch is on its way out, when you set the cruise for a given speed, disengage the cruise, let the speed drop some and then re-engage the cruise to resume the preset speed. a well worn clutch will be evident when the car doesn't accel as fast as the engine picks up the revs.... :ah:

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote