Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #1

Help w/ header install '00 Box 'S'

I am new to this forum, and have just recieved some cheap chinese headers for my '00 S and need a bit of help with the swap. They are 304 ss & the tig welding is very good, much better than i expected. Pretty awesome for 70$ plus shipping. If they fit the flow will be greatly enhanced for sure, but I won't start w/out some good counsel from whomever. I have done my own CV boot swap by totally cleaning & rebuilding/rebooting, so I'm not a complete idiot, but the headers lack the front cats & don'tknow how to deal with that in leu of emissions, wiring & obd codes etc.
To begin with, this set has a receptacle just short of the triangular flange for what must be an o2 sensor, & other than that there are no other ports. the manifold end plate is very flat, collector is beautifully welded, & I'm good to go with a set of Harbor Freight jackstands I welded a knob & support donut onto. Pulling the cross bracing & sheer panel off / accessing area is simple & I have a Bentley book for procedure, but mainly the 'warm up' cat is what poses the challenge in my small cranium. I'm a finish carpenter & boat/car tweeker to some degree, & have just messed up enough stuff to be aware of my shortcomings. Thanks for any & all input. Martin 253-514-9002

mdimant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #2

If you search the forum, you will find many posts on the topic. The big issue is that the O2 sensors are mounted before and aft of the cats you are about to delete; you will throw CEL when they are removed. The various posts will explain what others have tried and whether their remedies worked or not. I considered headers at one point, but didn't wish to deal with all the new issues that arose for what is likely a small HP gain.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #3

Power Loss

You will also find by researching this site there are very few after market exhaust systems that have actually increased the HP over the factory exhaust. Most have seen loss in power or very little gains at all. It may not be worth your time to make the swap.
DamageINC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
And most are annoying to others.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote