Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #1

Thoughts on painting center console other than black exterior color?

I am thinking of painting the center console and some of the other cheap plastic interior bits. I am trying to decide if I want to just paint them the exterior color of black or possibly add some pop and color to the interior. Anyone seen a center console painted a non-exterior color? Not the alumalook or carbon. For example, I have a black car, and was wondering if white or even red could look good if you had some subtle other accents to match, i.e. white stitching or red stitching or something.

mile2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #2

Garage
ive always thought red stitching and red seatbelts goes with most any color. of course no painting is invovled
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #3

You don't mention your interior color, but I assume it's black. I'd get some inexpensive adhesive vinyl and wrap some of your pieces and see if the contrast appeals to you, before you take paint to it.

My black car has savanna beige interior accented in black and is appealing to my eye due to the contrast. Red or yellow may be over the top and silver or carbon look is OK if that works for you.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #4

most of the time I've seen painted center consoles, they were on colors OTHER than black... blue, white, silvers, etc... they had black interiors, and the contrast between the black interior and the exterior color is what makes the painted center console look neat. on a black car with black interior,, i think you'd barely even notice it..at least not enough to justify the expense and hassle.

if I had a black car, I think I'd consider painting it silver to match whatever other silver trim I had in the car - shifter, pedals, door pulls...

white or red could look nice, but i'd have to see it to know for sure. given the cost to do it, I'd want to see it before I made up my mind. some people can envision that stuff in their mind and they know if will look good before they do it...i can't do that. i need to see it. maybe you can get someone here to photoshop it in various colors to help you decide.

let us know what you decide. I"m about to paint mine...but my car is ocean blue. .
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #5

To me I really like the black/white contrasting colors, I know this is on a white boxster but just imagine it is black

Old 01-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #6

Dealer painted, on delivery. Center console was factory option, rest is painted profesionally after it left the factory.

You decide, I haven't regret is for a moment. Note the car also has the following factory/exclusive options that went with the painting:
- rollbars painted in exterior color
- yellow seatbelts
- deviated / yellow stitching in the black leather sportseats and leather doors

Mark.

markk is offline   Reply With Quote