Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #1

bubbles in paintwork

i have a 986 and recently i noticed a problem with the paintwork.
just under one of the side vents, the one where there's the fan of the engine i noticed i had a small air bubble under the paintwork, and after a couple of weeks another two bubbles appeared next to it, all in the same spot. there doesnt seem to be rust, just a small bubble. i lookes carefully for similar marks on the whole car but there doesnt seem to be any more except just that spot. any of you guys expereinced this problem? could it be the hot air the fan sends making a reaction on the cold bodywork at this time of year?

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #2

Spreading like that it sounds like rust under the paint. Ever had an accident on that side where the car's metal got stretched or had to be reworked and the anti-rust coating of the metal under the paint may have been compromised? Sure hope it isn't that. Once rust starts (and I've never seen it on a 986) it is a true challenge to fix it so it doesn't come back.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #3

I have a little bit of rust under the paintwork in the exact same area.

I noticed it the first time I washed the car after buying it. Looked like water droplets the size of an eraser head. Now I've got two dime sized ones and another eraser head sized one.

I'm saving to have the car resprayed so it will be fixed then.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #4

ner had an accident no, i bought the car with full service history and had it for 4 years now, and its only recently i noticed the bubbles. as RandallNeighbour said, its like small water droplets. but i scratched the paint off them and used some boxster touch up paint to cover them, and wen i scratched them there was no rust at all, you could see the metal. i have no idea what to do, i dont want to respray it and have the same problem occur again.
boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #5

Rust is like cancer, it will not go away unless it's been completely removed which is by minimum a respray.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #6

If not rust, could it be heat related?

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote