Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #1

N. Arizona Boxster run in Feb/March

Would anybody be interested in a run up 89A in late Feb/early March? Maybe meet up in Prescott and go straight up 89A to Jerome, or even Flag? I'm thinking Feb 28th or March 7th. It's a pretty nice drive and the weather should be great.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #2

Dude! Did you move or what? That's a long way from Ohio.

If I wasn't busy at work AND broke I'd do this run with you in a heartbeat.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #3

Hey Randall-

No, I didn't move yet but I am working on it. I closed one of my business' and sold the bldg in '07. I took the cash and did a short sale on a gorgeous home in Sedona in '08 right before the crash. Best thing I ever did. You can see pictures of it on my web site Sedona is beautiful but its a very small town and you better be able to bring your job with you. Great for my health too though so I am spending about 5 months a year there.

You want me to swing south when I get to Texas and pick you up? LOL!

Happy New Year

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'69 911 Black
Cancer Survivor
Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #4

I checked out your Sedona home. Looks like we both own the same Ovation guitar

If you know anyone who wants one like yours, send them my way. I'm ready to sell mine because I haven't played it in two years.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #5

Garage
If it wasn't for this big snow drift..

we'd be out there in a heart beat. How long are you staying out here?
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #6

Randall-If you have the Elite 1868 shallow body like mine you shouldn't have a problem selling it. I just checked flea bay and they are going for $1000 and up. Mine is an 80's model and it sounds better every year. You should put it up on the Austin Craig's list in March when South by Southwest comes to town. Someone will drive up for that.

Mike-How are you and Rita holding out in this weather? Keeping safe and warm I hope. I'll be out from end of Feb to end of April or maybe even May. Really looking forward to getting the Boxster into the mountains there with those crazy roads. Aileen will be out a few times throughout so if you can make it you should come.

'03 Midnight Blue
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'69 911 Black
Cancer Survivor
Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 AM   #7

It's the CC257 shallow body... not as pricey as your model. Hard to tell them apart from across the room in your pic unless you can see the electronics. I think I can get $300 for it, which is close to what I paid fifteen years ago.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #8

Garage
Staying warm is the operative word. I have to say, the older I get, the less patience I have with the weather around here.

We'll be heading to HI the latter part of Feb, otherwise we'd take you up on the offer. Give our regards to Aileen. Don't forget--I've still got those mods I want to do when you get back.

BTW, what route do you take to get out there?
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
Staying warm is the operative word. I have to say, the older I get, the less patience I have with the weather around here.

We'll be heading to HI the latter part of Feb, otherwise we'd take you up on the offer. Give our regards to Aileen. Don't forget--I've still got those mods I want to do when you get back.

BTW, what route do you take to get out there?
HI=that will be really nice, especially this year. I am getting to be the same as you. Every year it seems to get a bit colder and every year it seems to snow a bit more Lol! Whenever you want to do the mods my heater and wrenches are ready!

'03 Midnight Blue
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'69 911 Black
Cancer Survivor
Old 01-13-2010, 02:43 AM   #10
dbw

Is there anywhere in Phoenix to rent a Boxster. I'm a Boxster owner in Wpg, Never been to Arizona and may make a 5 day weekend in March to check it out.
Many thanks,
Dave
(PS sorry for directing the thread off its main topic)
dbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #11

I'm interested. Maybe I'll get my wife to drive the Boxster and I'll drive my 914. Or maybe not
Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbanders
I'm interested. Maybe I'll get my wife to drive the Boxster and I'll drive my 914. Or maybe not
914's are AWESOME. Especially on that road. My first Porshe was a 1970 914 that had been painted seven times before I got it. It was rusted so badly it literally cracked in half. I'll be in touch as we get a little closer to the dates.

'03 Midnight Blue
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'69 911 Black
Cancer Survivor
Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #13

Not to sound like a know it all or anything, but you should try highway 191 running from Clifton to Springerville if you haven't done so already. I've driven on both 89A and 191, and I think 191 offers better views and more importantly, amazing hairpin turns that made me sick the first drive I went on it with my parent's Toyota Camry.

Either way, I wish I could go, it would be a nice drive.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
Not to sound like a know it all or anything, but you should try highway 191 running from Clifton to Springerville if you haven't done so already. I've driven on both 89A and 191, and I think 191 offers better views and more importantly, amazing hairpin turns that made me sick the first drive I went on it with my parent's Toyota Camry.

Either way, I wish I could go, it would be a nice drive.
Know it all..Not at all. In fact I would like to thank you for that. It looks like a hell of a drive and I am definitely going to make it a point to do that one weekend this year. I am in Sedona so I thought 89A would be a pleasant morning drive with enough curves to let the Boxster stretch her legs a bit. Plus-I love Jerome and the restaurants in Prescott. Let me know if you ever get up my way.

'03 Midnight Blue
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'69 911 Black
Cancer Survivor
Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist
Know it all..Not at all. In fact I would like to thank you for that. It looks like a hell of a drive and I am definitely going to make it a point to do that one weekend this year. I am in Sedona so I thought 89A would be a pleasant morning drive with enough curves to let the Boxster stretch her legs a bit. Plus-I love Jerome and the restaurants in Prescott. Let me know if you ever get up my way.
Unless you are a biker fanatic in Arizona, 191 is actually quite a well kept secret. It's definitely worth a look, and although most people go from Springerville south, I like starting from the mines of Clifton (mostly because I live in Tucson, so it makes more sense to do it this way).

I have been to Sedona 3 times. I never tire of the scenery there, it's amazingly breathtaking.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
Ike

Better than a "nice drive"!

Hey Guys,

I did these Sedona roads last spring when I went from Laramie to Hemet via Steamboat, Telluride, Idyllwild and other 2 lane passenger pukers. The Jerome -> Prescott leg was a world class boxster g-pulling festival. Coming down the canyon from Flagstaff to Sedona was a tire and brake scorcher, and I pulled over for a cooldown and took this snappy.

I would like to do the route again, but I think the Rocky Mtn 2 lanes that I love to smoke through on the way will be too cold for comfort and safety if I were to join you that early in the season.

If you happen to delay your trip 'til April you could count me in.....I'd show you what can be done on those roads with a Boxster S powered by a x51 engine!

Happy Trails,
Ike

Last edited by Ike; 01-14-2010 at 06:10 AM. Reason: add the pic:
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
Unless you are a biker fanatic in Arizona, 191 is actually quite a well kept secret. It's definitely worth a look, and although most people go from Springerville south, I like starting from the mines of Clifton (mostly because I live in Tucson, so it makes more sense to do it this way).

I have been to Sedona 3 times. I never tire of the scenery there, it's amazingly breathtaking.
I did a little research and 191 looks like an amazing run. It is definitely gonna be a weekend trip. All told round trip looks to be 12+ hours for me but looks to be well worth it. I am an AZ newcomer so I am still in the discover and amazement mode. One thing I love about AZ is all the old mining towns and abandoned mines. I love all the decay, urban and otherwise..

Got ant other suggestions? I'm makin' a list....

'03 Midnight Blue
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'69 911 Black
Cancer Survivor
Old 01-14-2010, 02:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
Hey Guys,

I did these Sedona roads last spring when I went from Laramie to Hemet via Steamboat, Telluride, Idyllwild and other 2 lane passenger pukers. The Jerome -> Prescott leg was a world class boxster g-pulling festival. Coming down the canyon from Flagstaff to Sedona was a tire and brake scorcher, and I pulled over for a cooldown and took this snappy.

I would like to do the route again, but I think the Rocky Mtn 2 lanes that I love to smoke through on the way will be too cold for comfort and safety if I were to join you that early in the season.

If you happen to delay your trip 'til April you could count me in.....I'd show you what can be done on those roads with a Boxster S powered by a x51 engine!

Happy Trails,
Ike
I would love to see your car. We just might do it again in April.

'03 Midnight Blue
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'69 911 Black
Cancer Survivor
Old 01-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #19

For scenery, Arizona is really amazing. There's everything from mining towns to ski resorts as you know.

Bisbee is mining town central, to get there you need to head through Tombstone, which is also a good place to stop. For greens you have Flagstaff, but a more scenic place are the white mountains (which AZ 191 goes straight to). There's plenty more, but since you're close to it if you like hiking you might want to try Sunset Crater/Wupatki.

However, driving wise there are very few places to go. Arizona is mostly flat, and windy roads are only going up mountains, which you have in Sedona.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #20

It sure can't be any flatter than Ohio!

'03 Midnight Blue
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'69 911 Black
Cancer Survivor