Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #1

Garage
Current Boxster Prices

For those of you who might be in the market for a boxster, a brief search on Autotrader and Cars.Com today, yielded numerous 986's with less than 20k on the odometer (in some cases with less than 15K or 10k) that were selling for "peanuts" compared to their original sticker price. On the assumption that these vehicles were well cared for, it looks like there are some incredible deals out there.

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #2

I looked at Autotrader back in Sept/Oct and the prices were way low then too. Lets see....if I can sell the one I have now at what I think it's worth and buy a newer one at what they're asking these days..... un huh.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
For those of you who might be in the market for a boxster, a brief search on Autotrader and Cars.Com today, yielded numerous 986's with less than 20k on the odometer (in some cases with less than 15K or 10k) that were selling for "peanuts" compared to their original sticker price. On the assumption that these vehicles were well cared for, it looks like there are some incredible deals out there.
This is old news and the same for many so called high end cars. Have you seen what's happened to Ferrari 360 prices, for example?

Since the stock market took a crap back in late '08 prices have been on a steady slide down, helped along nicely by rising unemployment. Many of the people who would be buying a 986/996/987 as a 3rd car or weekend toy have been out of the market, and others who want a daily driver are scared off by high maintenance cost and IMS phobia; that leaves true enthusiasts like us who are willing to engage in some DIY to keep maintenance and repair costs manageable and can deal with the IMS risk.

Let's face it, many people's new found fiscal conservatism, focus on necessities, and efforts to at least appear as though they're eschewing conspicuous consumption isn't compatible with P-car ownership. (Yes, I believe it's all BS.) I think the best owners who anticipate selling in the next couple of years can hope for is for prices to bottom out when the economy makes a strongly positive turn.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
I looked at Autotrader back in Sept/Oct and the prices were way low then too. Lets see....if I can sell the one I have now at what I think it's worth and buy a newer one at what they're asking these days..... un huh.

Bob
I purchased my '02 S back in 2004 with 6k on the odometer for 35K. The original sticker price was 63K. Despite the 40k + in mods that have been performed to it, I shutter to think what value the market would place on it. Nevertheless, I take solace in the fact, that with all that I have done to it, it would probably cost nigh on to a 100k to replace it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #6

Garage
I've been tempted on many occasions to pull the trigger on a 360 if it wasn't for the ridiculous maintenance that was involved with these vehicles. Oil and fluid changes costing 2k, cam belts that need replacement @ 3yrs/15,000 which can cost upwards of 6k. Thats just insane ! I have friends who own Gallardo's . Compared to the Ferrari, the maintenance requirements are pretty much routine and relatively inexpensive.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 01-05-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I purchased my '02 S back in 2004 with 6k on the odometer for 35K. The original sticker price was 63K. Despite the 40k + in mods that have been performed to it, I shutter to think what value the market would place on it. Nevertheless, I take solace in the fact, that with all that I have done to it, it would probably cost nigh on to a 100k to replace it.
Sounds like you go a really great deal at the time for an essentially new car.

My '02 S isn't all decked out with mods, but it's nicely optioned (xenons, psm, Bose), and was/is in excellent condition w/extensive service recs when I bought it 6 months ago for $16k. Mileage was 67k. I felt at the time and I still feel that was a market correct price. There are definitely similar cars out there for less, some a lot less, but probably not as well cared for.

Sadly, prices seem to have softened another ~5% since then. Just when you thought prices couldn't go any lower... For what I paid there isn't much to lose, so i don't sweat it. It's one hell of a car for the money.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Stroked & Blown]DAAAAAMN!!! $70k for a beautiful 360 w/15k miles:

I've heard of more than a few with 25-30k miles going for as low as $60k. They made well over 11,000 of those - I think it's the highest production F-car ever - and the only place for prices to go is down, down, down. When they hit $30k maybe I'll pick one up.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #9

Not all porsches or high end cars are down in price I just sold my 1991 944 s2 with 86 K on it on ebay last week for $13000 ,though the 91 was very rare ,I could not get that for my very nice 1998 boxster ,also the older 911s 84 on up bring good money just watched a 84 911 sell for 13000 ,the last 1990 944 s2 convertible I sold for 13800 ,seems like the older boxsters are not worth much .I have owned my 98 box with 88 k on it fin made for almost four years now no water pump, no aos, or ims ,no nothing , but great luck with it ,almost bullet proof ,and I will never sell it,
rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #10

As a fool who has passed on a 57 T-bird at $1795 (white shoe polish price on windshield on used car lot), a 65 Cobra 289 at $6500, and a 904 at $6500 I can vouch for cyclical valuations. We'll not see Speedsters for less than 3 grand again either.

Wish I still had my original owner 65 289 Mustang also.

As Boxster values go down they will be bought and discarded by those unable or unwilling to maintain them. Some will be gutted and tracked. And the original paint/matching numbers cars in great condition will start to appreciate.

Hemmings just picked the 944S as one of five "foolproof sports legends for hard times."

PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote