Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:04 AM   #1

hey guys some info please

I Have ben looking for a boxter ben looking on line for ever found what i liked finly went to actuly see a 99 and boy was i didipointed on the inside first of all it had not ben taken care of verry well on top of that the inter looks so cheep. whas the best model for the inter i cant afford a new one but what about the 2000 model do they look nicer in side just wondering not many to see in person around hear but the 99 might have looked better if it had ben taken care of also just faded and dust not clean at all

boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:15 AM   #2

The interiors changed very little until 2005 (987 model). If the owner of the car didn't keep it clean and tidy as befitting a nice Porsche he probably didn't maintain it mechanically as befitting a nice Porsche. Keep looking.

The interior materials are a bit cheap looking on the Boxster, but they're not too bad if they're maintained. I know there is an issue with Boxsters where the plastic peels on the map pockets, but you could replace those.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:29 AM   #3

Boywonder:

The interior of the tops did get better in later years... I have a 97 and my plastic window and lack of a head liner do smack of being cheap... but the top is down a vast majority of the time and you should keep this in mind. I think they put glass windows and headliners in the 03 or 04's... but those vehicles are still expensive.

The other bits of the interior aren't that great either in my 97. I updated the gear shift knob and the steering wheel to a 3 spoke by buying discarded stuff off Ebay. Fortunately, the Boxster has a lot of the same interior trim pieces as the 911 and you can swap them out easily (seats, center console, Ebrake, shifter, most dash pieces, door handles, etc. Never forget it may be cheaper just to drive your car over to a good auto upholstry shop and ask them what they can redo for you in genuine split leather... that's what I'm going to do.

The flip side of doing lots of leather inside a Boxster is that leather does not hold up well in direct sunlight... so the vinyl interior parts may do better than leather. Carbon fiber can be installed, but frankly, it's too glitzy and pricey for my taste.

Hope this info helps you make a decision.

By the way, not to dog you, but It was quite difficult to read your post! You'll get far more response from this list (made up of 40 year old guys and a few younger and older ones thrown in there) if you use capitalization, punctuation, and put a blank line between sentences and/or paragraphs. Think of it this way—it's a good habit to get into anyway because in business and universities it's required and expected. I've noticed we're all quite "old school" here in the way we post our messages—few learned to type cryptic SMS messages on cell phones. We all took typing class in high school :dance:

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 03-18-2005 at 07:31 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:34 AM   #4

^ I'm thinking English isn't his first language... but I could be wrong.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:29 AM   #5

Talking Thanks

Thanks Guys This has ben a great help ! I wil probly go with the 2000 model. And use the 911 trim . I did not know they were the same or some what the same. But the cars out side and preformace is great but u know while driving u like to look at nice stuff to. U never really see the out side except when u get out . And thanks for the info on posting i tryed some caps and period. Thans guys a lot Boywonder.

boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote