Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #1

Help cant get in, locked out, battery???

Guys please help, i have left my car outside since the 24th in the snow and with it now defrosted i tried to get in today but the bleeper wont bleep, i.e. i cant get access to the car. Ive only had it for 2 months now and only ever received one key. Ive tried the key in the lock and it turns both ways but it still wont open.

Any ideas?

help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee :ah:

reidmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #2

I believe when the car stands for more than 5 days you MUST open it with the door lock.
Could it be that the door is still frozen shut and that's why you think the key wont open it?
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #3

Even if your battery is out, unlocking the driver side door with your key is a mecanical process that should work everytime.
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #4

i thought i could do the turn of the key in the door thing too but it wont open, no noises, nothing. I never opened the door with key at any point that i have owned it so does anyone know for sure if the ignition key will be the same as the door key as a matter of fact?

can a porsche dealer get it open? at a cost im sure?

plese keep helping thank you all its tearing me up not getting in, i take it this will mean the battery is actually dead?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #5

I once locked myself out of the car and the road service was able to open the car up:
You must very carefully pry a flatiron between the top and the window
But what they did then was to press the "door unlock" button which opened the door but the triggered the imobilizer
Just to be sure better check if the battery in your key is still good
Also look for a thread how you can provide power to the front hood unlock mechanism by attaching a battery to the relevant fuse (do a search and you should find it)
This all is of course step #2 after you were able to get the door open....
Old 12-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #6

hey again,

ive just got the road service to stick a wire between the window and the hood, i have 98 version with no central lock button so they lifted the "arm" in the footwell that sprung open the bonnet, we attached a jumper booster to the battery and it had absolutely no effect at all, no change nothing.

We also tried warm water over the door and lock mechanism, again no change.

So im still not in the car but i now have the bonnet open therfore gaining access to the battery, should i disconnect the battery to reset it or would this cause more problems, any ideas from here? because im felling very sad now. Typical Scottish/UK weather its snowing again.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #7

totally out of ideas at this point
sounds like flatbed truck to the Porsche repair shop to me
Sorry

but I don't think you can make things worse by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cable (as long as you have your radio code)
Old 12-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #8

i tried disconnecting the battery and opening the doors, reconnecting it etc, still no joy. Does anyone know if when you turn the car key in the door lock does it make any noise? like a motor or something?

thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #9

Try slapping the door with your palm just in front of the handle. My '98 sometimes won't open, and that will usually solve it.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #10

just tried it on my car (opening the car with the key)
It's 100% mechanical, the only sound I heard was a mechanical lock opening no electric or motor noises.
Did you de-ice the keyhole?
Old 01-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #11

Thanks guys, i just bit the bullet and cut out the back window,

i got my girl to slide in between the two seats and the doors would not open, but we then put the key in the ignition and hey presto, engine started first time and everything went back to normal.

New problem now though, torn back window, i used a knife to make a cut 2 inches from the edge so that i had something to attach any new temporary repair too but its horrible looking.

Any ideas?

cheers
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #12

it sounds like your door lock mechanism is disconnected inside the door.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #13

If you were using the remote key maybe the battery was dead, but, the lock should have opened with the key. I believe Porsche wanted you to be able to get in with the key in case of something went wrong. It sounds like it did not lock properly...my suggestion is to remove the door panel and lubricate all parts that move. Lock mechanism, windows, etc. If you contact me personally, I will send you Diagnosis pdf which has the alarm system working with the keys, maybe it can help you. It's 38 megabits.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidmav
i just bit the bullet and cut out the back window,
I don't think I could have brought myself to do that, like cutting off your own finger.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #15

Quote:
New problem now though, torn back window, i used a knife to make a cut 2 inches from the edge so that i had something to attach any new temporary repair too but its horrible looking.

Any ideas?
It's quite possible to sew in a new rear window. I had it on my car because the top was the still in good shape, but the window had cracked like so many do. Cost was ~$500 here in NJ; some people have had it done for as little as $300. A great alternative to a new top that would likely be 3-4x the cost, provided you have to pay someone to do the job for you, like I did.

Do a search for "cracked rear window".
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
If you were using the remote key maybe the battery was dead, but, the lock should have opened with the key. I believe Porsche wanted you to be able to get in with the key in case of something went wrong. It sounds like it did not lock properly...my suggestion is to remove the door panel and lubricate all parts that move. Lock mechanism, windows, etc. If you contact me personally, I will send you Diagnosis pdf which has the alarm system working with the keys, maybe it can help you. It's 38 megabits.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi, oh yes please the diagnosis pdf im sure would help me.

please send to adam.reid@vpplc.com

thanks mate :dance:
Old 01-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
I don't think I could have brought myself to do that, like cutting off your own finger.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i know i felt so sick during and for the next hour afterwards.

but at least the car is working so one big problem becomes one small one if not a draughty one.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #18

Quote:
hey again,

ive just got the road service to stick a wire between the window and the hood, i have 98 version with no central lock button so they lifted the "arm" in the footwell that sprung open the bonnet, we attached a jumper booster to the battery and it had absolutely no effect at all, no change nothing.

We also tried warm water over the door and lock mechanism, again no change.

So im still not in the car but i now have the bonnet open therfore gaining access to the battery, should i disconnect the battery to reset it or would this cause more problems, any ideas from here? because im felling very sad now. Typical Scottish/UK weather its snowing again.
First off, do you know for a fact that the door is unlocked?
Is the window rolling down the inch when you pull the handle?
If you know it is unlocked, smack the door with your palm next to the door handle. Then try opening the door.

If your car has battery power, then its an internal issue with the door unlocking mechanism.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote