Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #1

Engine rebuilder in South Jersey????

Anyone know of a good engine rebuilder in South Jersey. I finally pulled the 3.2 out today and am eager to get the box back on the road. My options are... used engine, rebuild my existing if possible, Buy a rebuilt engine for 10K OR get raby built beast for 15K..... Let me know what you guys think. Would Jake ship a built engine to me and I wuold install it. Think he would discount it a few grand?

dsnell1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #2

Ask Jake , he is quite helpful and will answer your questions. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnell1004
Anyone know of a good engine rebuilder in South Jersey. I finally pulled the 3.2 out today and am eager to get the box back on the road. My options are... used engine, rebuild my existing if possible, Buy a rebuilt engine for 10K OR get raby built beast for 15K..... Let me know what you guys think. Would Jake ship a built engine to me and I wuold install it. Think he would discount it a few grand?
While I was down at Jake's shop in October for an IMS retrofit in my '02 S, I got an extensive tour and had the opportunity for a close look a couple of engines he was rebuilding. Very impressive. He gives classes on engine rebuilding to mechanics from all over the country, including many employed by dealers. If I were in the market for a rebuild, Jake would be the first guy I'd go to. No question it'll be done right.

Why not go for a rebuild that's not a "beast" if cost is an issue? The factory rebuild is going to have the same IMS bearing issue as the engine you just pulled. Unless you're capable of installing the engine yourself, it might not be much more than shipping an engine back and forth to simply ship your car down to Jake to do the entire job and then fly down and drive back.

BTW, I don't think "discount" is part of Jake's vocabulary. Quality costs.

Gary (NJ)
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #4

There are lots of options

Link

I doubt Jake is going to discount, I suspect he has all the work he can handle. Is he the best? Well where else are you going to get an engine with maybe a dozen potential problems addressed in a way that a used, rebuilt or even new M96 engine doesn't? Transport to his facility is relatively cheap in this economy and at this time of year...ask him and he can make transport arrangements. His installation labor rate may be lower than yours and the only way he'll stand behind the installation.

You have to figure out what that is worth to you. What risk there is to using parts that have been installed on hundreds of cars for tens of thousands of miles each. I haven't heard of a failure yet on one of his rebuilt motors...except his own car where he tries to break it. And the failure was in a part that was stock..and he immediately set out to engineer a better part so his future engines wouldn't break that way. But we could find a problem 50k down the road...or not. I know he engineers them not to but supposedly so did Porsche...

There are people who have rebuilt their engines themselves for $4k in parts..but those people are rare geniuses.

There are those who bought used motors and have had no problems.

And there are those who bought used motors or even new motors from Porsche installed by a dealer only to have them fail soon after installation.

It is a crap shoot. And only you can figure out if that kind of $ is right to spend on your car.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote