Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #1

Front Bumper replaced - Quick story, bodyshop plug, and pictures to come

Hi all,

I received my boxster a little over a month ago now (from my father), and on the 2nd day some road debris flew up and gouged my front bumper. Luckily, insurance kept it as a comprehensive claim, so my deductible was $250.

I wound up at Classic Coachwork in West Chester, PA, at the recommendation of Main Line Porsche. I later found out that my father had taken the car to one of their other locations about 3 years ago, to exemplary service.

After agonizing over it, I told them to proceed with replacement using the stock bumper style. No upgrading to an S, an 03+, or other model. This kept it simple and cost effective for me, which is how I want to keep my boxster as much as possible.

Now, all they had to do was replace the front bumper. Let me tell you what they did:

1. Replaced the front bumper with a brand new unit, perfectly installed and beautifully painted. The paint appears to be a dead-on match, and i inspected it in full sunlight.

2. Replaced both front bumper grilles....they look absolutely gorgeous in sparkling silver metallic

3. At my request and at no charge, cleaned out both radiators fully. They told me that there was actually only a little debris in the back corners of them.

4. When the litronics were installed, one of the gaskets didnt' seat right. They re-seated the gasket so now the lines are perfect.

5. Full exterior wash, polished the wheels up beautifully, the tires are shined, and the exhaust tip has never looked so bright.

6. They polished the rear plastic window in such a way that, from the outside, it looks BRAND NEW. I mean shimmering. They also cleaned the inside extremely well.

7. Cleaned out the interior and somehow freshened it up. It had a bit of a dank garage smell, and it no longer has that. They even did stuff like took out the ashtray and cleaned the interior of it out fully, and deeply.

I picked it up this morning and had to immediately put it back in the garage at home, but I can't wait to post some pictures. It looks stunning, and i couldn't be happier.

Huge recommendation for this shop.

Joe

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
Pat

Nice. I LOVE hearing these stories. :dance:
Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Carnut

A lot of "us" are kinda expecting this service (well, maybe not the entire detailing but at least the cleaning behind the bumper and the clean/polish outside).

It is nice that there are people/companies out there who take pride in their work!!
Grats!
Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #4

Hi Andy,

I absolutely agree, although the stuff like polishing my convertible plastic inside and out, cleaning up the exhaust tip with obvious metal polish....that's stuff I consider above and beyond.

Let me contrast though: this company received $2000 for this work.

Last year, my insurance company paid $3300 to a paintless dent removal place (very reputable too) to fix ~200 dings/dents in my wife's Legacy. They did an absolutely gorgeous job on the sheet metal....but...

When I picked it up, the inside of the car was FILTHY. Grease palmprints all over the tan headliner, visors, leather seats. Then...

both front seatbelts were re-installed incorrectly (couldn't pull them out and they didn't retract)

Sunroof cover took about 50 pounds of force to pull out or retract

Trunk creaked when shutting

Driver's seat creaked

Trim on both front doors no longer lined up, exterior window trim looked about 1" out of place compared with the window behind it....

Took 4 visits to get all sorted....

Compared to this treatment, today, where I'm driving home and my freaking convertible top is clearer than it's ever been....when I had my front bumper replaced...

I don't know. Guess I love seeing people go above and beyond

Joe

P.s. I'm going to give them a call and see how much they charge to refinish some wheels!

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote