Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #1

How to protect your car from your kids?

Does anyone have any creative ways to protect there car from kids while in the garage? My kids are 2 and 5 and are in and out of the garage all day with big wheels, bikes, baseball bats etc. I have a cover but it still makes me nervous when they are in there….

chubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #2

1. Dashboard Jesus.

2. Daily prayer.

3. Regular attendance at religious services.

4. No Tiger Woods activities.

5. Soft indoor cover with dense upholstery foam hot glued to sides, trunk lids, fenders and sides with heavy outdoor car cover on top.

6. Or one of those bubble covers that inflates.

7. Get a shed for the kids. Or for their stuff.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #3

Short of covering it and placing foam against the sides......no. My kid's bikes go to the shed during winter months, during the summer the Boxster goes into the single bay side of a three car and I park my daily driver outside. That leaves room for them / their crap in the two car bay with the wife's minivan. Also, get to know your local dent doctor, not kidding. I make the kids pay for the repairs they cause (they are older than yours), that way they quickly learn.

Last edited by coreseller; 12-14-2009 at 10:50 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #4

I sold my kids when I got the Porsche.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #5

Teach your young children to respect others personal property. This can be learned at a very young age. Set them up to succeed, not to fail.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #6

Garage
Two words...invisible fence
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
This is a great idea but might not pass with the wife.

My 5 year old is very careful and has great respect for my and his stuff. I really don't worry about him. Even his matchbox cars are perfect.

My 2 year old however is a walking wrecking ball. He like to throw and bang on stuff. MAybe I'll clean the shed for there toys....

I did see a padded curtain that hangs from the celing. Almost like a shower curtain. I thought that was a good idea.
chubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #8

Garage
My wife and I operate on the principle that a parents job is to make sure that the child has plenty of things to talk about with their analyst later in life. We even identify the event for easy recollection as it is happening.

My son was cutting corners on watering our horses so I told him he had to eat his dinner without anything to drink. It worked like a charm. He was not even thirsty until I told him he could not have a drink with his meal.

In your case it will be like this..."My dad made me wear a dog collar that shocked me when I got too close to the Porsche, that is why I have an irrational fear of all things German".

Who said parenting was hard?
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #9

What great parenting tips! I don't have kids but am taking notes for when that time comes.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #10

The best way to protect your boxster or any car for that matter against children is to follow the practice stated in this video. Yes, it is used for ADHD, however it works extrodinarily well for vehicular respect. Enjoy.

Training Video

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S

Last edited by tnoice; 12-14-2009 at 02:34 PM.
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #11

Get the kids in one room, and shoot one of them in the head in front of the others. Then, while the survivors are ****************ting in their pants; explain to them that the individual lying on the floor did not do an adequate job of protecting the Porsche; and that the survivor(s) are now totally responsible for protecting the car, and any damage to it, no matter hopw slight, and the same thing will happen to them. You get a defensive protection plan; and have one less mouth to feed and college education to fund………….a win/win all around.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #12

"Get the kids in one room, and shoot one of them in the head in front of the others. Then, while the survivors are ****************ting in their pants; explain to them that the individual lying on the floor did not do an adequate job of protecting the Porsche; and that the survivor(s) are now totally responsible for protecting the car, and any damage to it, no matter hopw slight, and the same thing will happen to them. You get a defensive protection plan; and have one less mouth to feed and college education to fund………….a win/win all around."

WOW, if only the government worked that way. Talk about efficiency.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Get the kids in one room, and shoot one of them in the head in front of the others. Then, while the survivors are ****************ting in their pants; explain to them that the individual lying on the floor did not do an adequate job of protecting the Porsche; and that the survivor(s) are now totally responsible for protecting the car, and any damage to it, no matter hopw slight, and the same thing will happen to them. You get a defensive protection plan; and have one less mouth to feed and college education to fund………….a win/win all around.

You sound quite a bit like my father..........Dad?
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #14

See pic (not my car, btw)

Last edited by clickman; 12-14-2009 at 03:42 PM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #15

Quote:
My mother bought an invisible fence system for her dog. Somehow the dog slipped past the "fence" the first day. When she caught him outside she didn't want him to get shocked when he went home as he should. She took off the collar and sent the dog home. She chatted with the neighbor for awhile and then headed home with the collar in her hand. When she got up off the ground she determined that the fence worked quite well.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #16

Unless you seriously do the invisible fence, or have a third car garage to lock the Boxster away from little people - you just have to accept that *something* might happen to it.

I was in the garage one day when I saw my 2 year old put his matchbox car up onto the side of the Boxster and proceed to make "vroom vroom vroom" sounds as he rolled the car all down the car... by the time i got to him, I had some nice little scratches....

if the car was brand new and flawless I would have probably crapped..but it's a 10+ year old car, and already has lots of OTHER little scratches... so I just figured, oh well.... it wasn' tTHAT bad of a scratch.... eventually I'll get a hardcore detail buffer job done and they will all be gone....

along the same lines as the invisible fence....we have a bark collar for our little maltese...I felt it only fair to at least "try it" to know what I was subjecting my little dog to. After trying it out on myself, I don't make her wear it anymore... OUCH!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #17
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Invest in an electric dog collar or an electric fence.

But really I would just explain to your kids to be respectful and aware, but be prepared for the worst. Accidents happen, I am always extremely careful around my Boxster, but it hasn't stopped me from accidentally scratching it in a few places. Life happens.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
JTP

Quote:
In your case it will be like this..."My dad made me wear a dog collar that shocked me when I got too close to the Porsche, that is why I have an irrational fear of all things German".
When was a kid I climbed onto my father's stereo sytem and destroyed his turntable and reel to reel tape deck. I don't remember what happened but I stayed away from that stereo for a very long time!
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:52 AM   #19

Are there no work houses left?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #20

Put them on her face.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote