986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How do YOU pronounce Porsche? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/23035-how-do-you-pronounce-porsche.html)

MarkOfZero 12-11-2009 02:02 AM

How do YOU pronounce Porsche?

I've heard many english speaking people call it a "Portia", like the female name.

Of course, proper PCA members call it a "Pour ch eh", just as the
Deutsche Bank is pronounced "Doy ch eh" Bank.

Recently while in Spain I found out that many there call it a
"Pour ch ay" (long A sound on the end).

Anybody familiar with any other fun/interesting variations used in other countries or languages?

Mark

Boxtaboy 12-11-2009 03:16 AM

It's pronounced Volks Wagon now. :D

landrovered 12-11-2009 04:09 AM

So is it "Folksvagen" or "voltswagon"?

I would rather be part of VW than what happened to Land Rover and now be owned by Tata of India after being raped by Ford and BMW.

schnellman 12-11-2009 06:21 AM

In Germany you'll find it's pronounced Folks Vagon (people's car).

When I bought my first Porsche I was living in Wiesbaden. A German friend of mine said Americans will never be able to pronounce the Doktor's name correctly. But, as close as we can come is Poursh-ah, with the emphasis on the first syllable.

CenterIsl 12-11-2009 06:34 AM

Actually, because of this pronunciation issue (and because of the social stigma of being lumped with Carrera owners) I always refer to it as a "Boxster".

chubert 12-11-2009 07:06 AM

I always pronounce it Porsch-a. I heard since it is a name you should say it as they do in the native language. If it was any other word you are allowed to put your language pronunciation on it.

Now how does everyone pronounce "citroen"?? :cool:

sd_boxster 12-11-2009 07:15 AM

A friend of mine, an older lady from Berlin, was DELIGHTED when I pronounced it porsch-uh - the way it's supposed to be pronounced. :D

Stroked & Blown 12-11-2009 08:13 AM

Poor-shuh

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubert

Either Sit-chren
.....or Crap

ehanauer 12-11-2009 09:59 AM

German pronunciation is easy. Unlike English or French, you pronounce each letter.

The Porsche family pronounces it POR sha, so that's good enough for me.

BTW, most people mispronounce my German surname.

MikenOH 12-11-2009 11:29 AM

When we did the fast lane travlel tour years ago..

in Germany,our tour guide--a retired Porsche engineer-- pronounced it "Pour' Sha"

JTP 12-11-2009 11:32 AM

Y'all say Porch?

roadracer311 12-11-2009 03:24 PM

Living in San Francisco and driving a boxster, there are two mis-pronunciations that bother me on a regular basis:

Don't call it "Frisco"
and don't call it a "Porsh"

Adam 12-11-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadracer311
Living in San Francisco and driving a boxster, there are two mis-pronunciations that bother me on a regular basis:

Don't call it "Frisco"
and don't call it a "Porsh"

Seriously, that bothers you? I think 99% of Americans pronounce it Porsh so you really must be bothered on a pretty regular basis.

vath2001 12-11-2009 05:39 PM

How I pronounce it: Eff You Enn, FUN!
I don't know the German word

Topless 12-11-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehanauer
German pronunciation is easy. Unlike English or French, you pronounce each letter.

The Porsche family pronounces it POR sha, so that's good enough for me.

BTW, most people mispronounce my German surname.

Eric, is that you? Are you a Boxster guy now?

mark1999 12-11-2009 08:07 PM

Hey Guys,

My wife has named my car "Porshee"

Later,
Mark1999

boxsternut 12-12-2009 06:27 PM

The German way is "Porsh-ah", not "Porsh", so I guess 99% of you are wrong!

Adam 12-13-2009 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxsternut
The German way is "Porsh-ah", not "Porsh", so I guess 99% of you are wrong!

lol.....yeah I don't think there is a more widely mis-pronounced word here in America. If you randomly asked 100 Americans to say it, 99 of them would say Porsh, so the American pronunciation is Porsh. :D Sometimes I say Porsha sometimes I say Porsh, it doesn't really matter to me.

Daniel R 12-13-2009 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubert
I always pronounce it Porsch-a. I heard since it is a name you should say it as they do in the native language. If it was any other word you are allowed to put your language pronunciation on it.

This one is a little more complicated. Citroën is pronounced something like sit-roh-ah.

English speakers struggle with this one for many reasons, one of which is not understanding what the umlaut (in French, tréma) on top of the "e" does to the pronunciation. An umlaut separates the vowel sounds, think of Noël, the "O" and "E" are separated to sound No-el, rather than sounding something like a word rhyming with roll, if the umlaut were not present.

vath2001 12-13-2009 03:55 AM

i dont no y u r worried. we don't spell no more or type good. car gr8. call it p-car