986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How do YOU pronounce Porsche? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/23035-how-do-you-pronounce-porsche.html)

Lobo1186 12-18-2009 02:03 PM

that forum is alot more violent for lack of better terms.... quite funny. :dance:

pimp my box 12-22-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:- wanted to avoid sounding anything like Jeremy Clarkson, the guy who plays the "odious Brit" character [also featured on A. Idol and Hells Kitchen shows] on Top Gear.

Hey that not a character he's playing he really is that 'odious' and proud of it (and loved for it).........................and by the way when are you Yanks going to learn how to pronounce Jaguar and Nissan properly?

And while we are on a roll, Landrovered the word is DEFENCE!!!

Oh and you all write the date the wrong way round, today is 22-12-2009!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS (from the motherland)

Lobo1186 12-22-2009 07:16 AM

you will find many ways to write the date here in the US. the way I use is

2009DEC22

and how do you pronounce jaguar and nissan

pimp my box 12-22-2009 07:24 AM

JAG-U-ARE not Jagwarr

NISS-SAN not Neeesan

But wouldn't the human race be boring if we were all the same...........

pierre shags 12-30-2009 03:05 PM

'Porsh' is fine by me; short & punchy & understood by all. Americans like to take the starch out of things (especially if foreign & upmarket) and correctness be damned. They won't think any less of the car if you use just one syllable.

JTP 12-30-2009 03:40 PM

Americans tend to bastardize or "Americanize" alot of foreign names:

Lamborghini Countach pronounced kontak instead of "koontaash"
Hechler and Koch pronounced cotch like Ed Koch's last name instead of "coke"
Mazda is actually pronounced "matsu-da"

At the same time, Japanese people totally butcher American names like Harley Davidson, McDonalds, hamburger, and rice. You should hear a Japanese pronounce Jaguar, it's a horrible noise.

Point is very few people will pronounce every foreign name exactly the way it was intended, everyone will throw their own flair into it and no one wants to be hounded by someone who is a stickler for insignificant details, like a math nerd reminding everyone that the year 2000 wasn't the beginning of the new millenium, 2001 was.

JTP 12-30-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobo1186
you will find many ways to write the date here in the US. the way I use is

2009DEC22

and how do you pronounce jaguar and nissan

Even within the US military, seems like every other DD and DA form has it's own date format: ddmmyyyy, dd/mm/yyyy, ddmmmyyyy, yyyyddmm, yyyymmdd, mmddyyyy, mmmddyyyy. Can't we come up with a universal format?

I'll just say Jag, and I had a hard time adjusting to Nissan since I owned a few Datsuns back when they were still Datsun.

Johnny Danger 12-31-2009 06:39 AM

Up here in New England, where the letter "r" doesn't exist, instead of hearing "Porsh" or "Porsh-a", you will likely here it pronounced "Posh". :o

Lobo1186 12-31-2009 03:19 PM

lol I love the no R accent. I personally never had one but some people I know in maine have a really bad case of the R-less