Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
pcw

2011 Boxster Spyder

Hi All,

New to the forum and have a question. I have never owned a Porsche but have always loved the classic lines and the looks. I am in a position now to afford one and just wanted to know your thoughts regarding a Boxster S or a Spyder. It will not be a daily driver and I live in Norcal where from May to Oct it hardly ever rains and the rest of the time it's warm enough with a little sun to drive a convertible.

I have read a few threads about the 2011 Spyder and some of your thoughts. I can understand the opinions about the Spyder being a daily driver with it's less than protective "tarp" but if the car was more of a occasional driver, would you feel differently? I also like the uniqueness of the Spyder and really the differences in price between the Boxster S and the Spyder isn't that critical to me.

So I guess the real questions are, if you didn't have to use it as a daily driver and the 62K wasn't really a factor, would you have one in your garage???

Thanks for your time,

PCW

pcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #2

Garage
sure... then i would start replacing body parts and actually make it light.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #3

If you wanted only to take it out on sunny days for short jaunts then, yes. Personally there have been many " topdown" days where after a while it gets too hot on a two hour ride and the top is a nice break from the sun. I have also been caught in a couple quick downpours and the top is a REALLY nice this to be able to just throw up with the press of a button. I am also a big fan of the radio and A/C when I do need to throw the top up. I guess I would miss the creature comforts that would come in handy from time to time. My Boxster is also not a daily driver, but I wouldn't trade those creature comforts in to shed a few pounds.
Just my two cents.

2003 Boxster S.... Schnell Short Throw Shifter, Xenons, 18" Carrera Lites, H & R Springs, 7mm/14mm spacers, Bose, Pioneer AVIC X710bt, Zeintop when it's cold
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #4

The Spyder is only 200 lbs lighter than a Boxster and that top seems useless. The power increase is good but not great. I would love to see a 2,000 - 2,400 LB Spyder, then you really have something. If I was spending 64K on a Boxster I would buy a $15,000 one used and put $50,000 into it to get a bigger engine, loose a lot of weight and really customize it.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
JTP

I'm not a fan of convertible cars, I got a Boxster because it was a good deal and I like Porsches but I almost never put the roof down. Even on my 914s, I never took the roof off. But with the Spyder, if I could afford it, I would probably get one. It is destined to be a collector Porsche in the future and the spartan interior and "build it yourself" roof does not bother me. It would be one of those cars I'd take out on weekends. If you have another car as a daily driver, then definitely go for the Spyder. If you want the security and comfort, then go for the S or even a Cayman S. The Spyder is marketed as being lighter for competition use, but Porsche knows well that 90% of the people who will buy this car will never track it. It's all just a marketing gimmick but the car looks great. Plus if you read the fine print, tracking your car will void the warranty.

Just like you wouldn't normally have a motorcycle as your only mode of transportation, you wouldn't have a Spyder as your only car. When I take my motorcycle out, I check the weather but if I get doused once in a while, it's not a big deal. Plus, you can usually see when a big storm is coming so you get enough time to either go home or duck under an overpass/gas station to put the roof up.

Many other sports cars have had limited comforts but were sought after by enthusiasts. Take the MkI Dodge Viper, when it was first introduced it had no side windows, a roof that came with a VHS video that taught the owner how to erect the roof and curtains for side windows. Even some modern Lambos had arrangements like this. If you own cars like that, you wouldn't really worry about certain inconveniences since you simply get into your 'other' car when needed.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #6

Even though it will not be a daily driver you might consider the ride implications of the 1" lower suspension on the Spyder combined with 19" wheels and low profile rubber. Nothing worse than having a car for fun and finding the ride is stiff enough to make the car not fun. If they were currently available then I would suggest a test drive of each on less than perfect roads before plopping down your deposit. Since that's not the case go test drive an '09 or '10 Boxster S and then ask yourself if you want a car that rides considerably rougher than that.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
pcw

Thanks to who have replied. Good points. I was also looking at a Superformance 427 Cobra, that car doesn't have A/C, radio and it does have a"soft top" , a lot like the Spyder does, that really isn't meant for bad weather. I'm really just looking for a unique car and I have always wanted a Porsche and I really like the Spyder's design.

PCW
Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #8

In answer to your original question --- YES!

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #9

Buy a roller Box S and install a 3.8...you'll save a lot of $ and have a kick-a$$ car to boot. The Boxster Spyder is a marketing gimmick and will not be collectible IMO...in fact I'll bet it's value nosedives just like all the other current breed (look at GT3 RS values).
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #10

HECK YEAH! If you can afford one, buy one!

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crios
HECK YEAH! If you can afford one, buy one!
I'd pick one up as well!

Heck, I had about +45F temperatures recently and drove with top down, nice scarf and tuque, just to enjoy the fresh brisk air!

In summer I do like having AC as an option, but could live without it. Just need to dress appropriately! Only on rare occasions was I actually in a suit while driving my Boxster.
VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
pcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Buy a roller Box S and install a 3.8...you'll save a lot of $ and have a kick-a$$ car to boot. The Boxster Spyder is a marketing gimmick and will not be collectible IMO...in fact I'll bet it's value nosedives just like all the other current breed (look at GT3 RS values).

Let's face it, if your are looking for resale on your car, your investing in the wrong commodity. Tell me what new car will be worth more 2 years after you buy it??? A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. KBB could care less about cars "that are destine to be a collectibles" I really don't care about resale/collectibility in short term, because it really won't matter. 30-40 years down the road is what will determine what a car is worth to a collector.

PCW
Old 12-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #13

This will likely not be as collectible because, remember, this is not a limited edition, it's another model in the lineup, unlike the previous RS Spyder (numbered edition) which by the way, are a dime a dozen now in Porsche terms--doubt seriously they will go up in value in 20years.

All you need is ONE good downpour without the top and it's bye bye P-car,unlike a motorcycle. Ask me how I know (previous non P-car).

The Spyder is a nice looking car, will certainly be rare on the street, but unless you're tracking it, you're just buying purely for looks. Why? You would have to drive back to back against a normal 987S to really notice that big of a difference. the 986/987S is plenty fast. New 987S (with real top) and PDK + Sport Chrono, 0-60 in the 4.2 sec range. Compare that to 911s of...uh... last year? How fast do you really need to accelerate? 986/987S Handling also far above anything you should be doing on public roads anyway.

If you're just tracking it, then why dump $62+K in a brand new car. better off doing like the rest said--buy a $15-18k and strip it. Also, make sure you test the standard sport bucket seats, I absolutely couldn't stand them even just sitting in for a few minutes. If you want different, you not only add add'l cost, but now weight back. same for stereo and A/C. My guess is, most will end up adding back some options and the weight difference will diminish.

I'm sure there are aftermarket kits to give you the "speedster humps" which, at the end of the day, is all you're really paying for w.r.t looks in my opinion.

I am still searching for my first box. I've narrowed the field to later model 987S and when the Spyder came out, I was quite disappointed. The lack of real top is a deal breaker. Would have loved a fully manual top instead. But maybe where you live it's not a problem. Like others said, if this were a 2100 lbs, all aluminum body/carbon panels/bumpers, then it might be a different story. but a couple of hundred pounds, some speedster humps and nylon straps for door pulls? don't think so...

My $0.02
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
JTP

I would not suggest anyone buy a car for investment unless you're looking at a vintage Bugatti or some ultra rare car already selling for a premium. Better to invest elsewhere for any return on your investment.
What I meant when I said the Spyder is "destined to be a collectible" is in 10 years or so, there will be very few of these cars that you would have something different and exclusive that it would be a collectible if you chose to keep it for that long. Keep it original and value "might" be higher than other cars. I would not buy it as an investment.
Let me tell you about my Cosworth Vega. When it was new, it was over priced, under powered, and didn't sell very well. Chevrolet discontinued it after two years. It has many factory "firsts" for GM and is one of Chevy's rarest cars but the value on these cars aren't that high. Despite its faults, I love the quirky nature of the car and the rarity of the car only adds to the delight of driving the car. Needless to say, I didn't buy the car as an investment.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #15

You're absolutely right JTP. a car is a liability, not an investment, unless it's a numbers matching '67 Corvette 427 or whatever.

You're probably also correct that it will be rare and exclusive in the future---because my prediction is that sales of this model will be relatively poor. Not only because it's not a real "game-changing" car but also lack of good usability as a DD. Plus, I think the timing is wrong. we're just now coming out of a recession, and people's mindsets have started to change. we're becoming more prudent with our money--esp in the short term. I just don't see people jumping to blow $60k on a car like this that lacks daily usability. Same likely true for BMWs new X6M--a turbocharged, gas-guzzling, stupidly fast SUV. In hindsight, they probably would have scrapped such projects. there will always be a few with more money than god that will buy one. But doubt a sustainable market. maybe time will prove me wrong.

So you may be absolutely right, this may become collectible, esp if my prediction holds true:
Dec 2011 edition of Motortrend: "Boxster Spyder to be discontinued"

I'll prepare to get flamed on that date I'll have my P-car well before then and will be an active member in this forum.

CRCguy
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #16

Nope, we're not coming out of a recession. We are seeing a small positive blip.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #17
pcw

Thanks again for all the replies. I will still have to wait and see if the dealer is going to try to do a dealer mark up on the Spyder, seems like all CA dealers don't realize their companies are in bad financial shape and still want to hit a home run on every car. I have never paid MSRP on a car and a Porsche will be no different. Hopefully

PCW
Old 12-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #18
pcw

All,

OK, here is the deal I just got from the dealer on the Spyder. All US Spyder's have to come with A/C and a radio. Dealer stated that a memo was sent to all US dealerships and will show me when I come to finalize. Not sure if this is a dealer ploy or not. Also the price on the Spyder with the A/C and radio is 64K. And the most important answer to my ADM (added dealer markup) question was, NO DEALER MARK UP !!!! I'm also trying to get the projected production run for the 2011 model year. I have an appointment tomorrow, first thing in the AM to go over all questions that I have and if all goes well, will reserve the car.

I will try to verify the memo from Porsche or if other go to their local dealers and have a different experience about the A/C and radio delete, please post that info.

Thanks,

PCW
Old 12-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw
All US Spyder's have to come with A/C and a radio.
And the most important answer to my ADM (added dealer markup) question was, NO DEALER MARK UP !!!!
PCW
Neither of those make much sense
Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #20
pcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Neither of those make much sense

Yes the A/C and Radio, I agree, but it is true. The dealer mark up is a big deal because out here in CA they mark everything up.

Just got back from the dealer. The memo is correct, A/C and radio have to be included in North American cars. I seen the memo and actually talked to the Regional Sales Manager that happen to be at the dealership. The dealership is having Porsche club event there tonight and guess what, they will have a Spyder at the event. I am going to go and will take some pics and post them.

So I ordered the car, I added a few things. A/C, radio (no change for radio) only option what the "Plus" system, no Bose offered with the Spyder. The system has 7 speakers and 1 CD slot and that's all I know about that. I also added the sports seats, the ones in the 9114S that I sat in, the seats that come with the Spyder are very tight and extremely hard to get in and out of, just a warning. The same seats that are in the Spyder they had in a 911GT2 that I sat in to test them out. They slide back and forth but no other movement that I could see. I added the heated seats option, Mats and iPod connection. That's it. I have the build number and the print out of the order that was sent to the factory. I should have delivery by May 2010.

pcw