View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
JTP

I'm not a fan of convertible cars, I got a Boxster because it was a good deal and I like Porsches but I almost never put the roof down. Even on my 914s, I never took the roof off. But with the Spyder, if I could afford it, I would probably get one. It is destined to be a collector Porsche in the future and the spartan interior and "build it yourself" roof does not bother me. It would be one of those cars I'd take out on weekends. If you have another car as a daily driver, then definitely go for the Spyder. If you want the security and comfort, then go for the S or even a Cayman S. The Spyder is marketed as being lighter for competition use, but Porsche knows well that 90% of the people who will buy this car will never track it. It's all just a marketing gimmick but the car looks great. Plus if you read the fine print, tracking your car will void the warranty.

Just like you wouldn't normally have a motorcycle as your only mode of transportation, you wouldn't have a Spyder as your only car. When I take my motorcycle out, I check the weather but if I get doused once in a while, it's not a big deal. Plus, you can usually see when a big storm is coming so you get enough time to either go home or duck under an overpass/gas station to put the roof up.

Many other sports cars have had limited comforts but were sought after by enthusiasts. Take the MkI Dodge Viper, when it was first introduced it had no side windows, a roof that came with a VHS video that taught the owner how to erect the roof and curtains for side windows. Even some modern Lambos had arrangements like this. If you own cars like that, you wouldn't really worry about certain inconveniences since you simply get into your 'other' car when needed.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote