Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

Can't Open Doors Manually...Suggestions?

I have read on this forum and others of how the Boxster remote locking will "go to sleep" if not used for 7 days. Most posters recommend opening the car manually, starting the engine and the system "wakes up" again.

BUT what do I do if the key does not manually open the door, it turns both ways but does not unlock the door?

A couple of other people mentioned the same problem but ominously there were no helpful suggestions. Hopefully someone has a simple and inexpensive solution!!

pearccol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #2

Sounds like the lock/unlock mechanism is broken or disconnected inside the door. Have AAA pop the door for you & head to a stealership for the fix.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #3

Did you find a fix and what did it cost. I've got the same problem. Not sure how many days I didn't drive car but less then 5. Went to open locks with remote button nothing, tried manually nothing. Trunk and hood nothing as well. Put key in door and hit button to open nothing. Suggestions please????????? Can't get into car.
katanihouse@shaw.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #4

[QUOTE=katanihouse@shaw.ca]Put key in door and hit button to open nothing. QUOTE]
I trust you also tried turning the key when it was in the lock?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:49 AM   #5

Suggestion: Check your credit card limit. The inside of DS lock mechanism broke, with the key stuck in the door. Total cost : $880 and 10 days. The parts had to come from "da Fatherland". I had AAA, so no towing costs for me.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearccol
BUT what do I do if the key does not manually open the door, it turns both ways but does not unlock the door?
You could turn the key to the left, and hold it until the windows roll down, and then reach in and unlock/open the door from inside the car.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #7

When I put key in and turn and hold to left the windows will not go down. Does this mean battery is dead? Had no issues with battery before.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by katanihouse@shaw.ca
When I put key in and turn and hold to left the windows will not go down. Does this mean battery is dead? Had no issues with battery before.
It could be.

What you should do is get ahold of the emergency release cable for the front trunk lid, and pop the trunk. You would then need to put a battery charger on your car and see if you then can get the doors to unlock then.

BC.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #9

Thank you for the suggestions I'm gonna try popping hood today wiith emergengy release. Called the dealership today and they said 800$ to fix lock if it's broken ouch!! I've only had this car 2 months and already this, MAF censor replaced, code 0410/1411 popping up, and second gear toast. Is this what I have to look forward to or is this just a coincidence that all this happened at once?????
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katanihouse@shaw.ca
Thank you for the suggestions I'm gonna try popping hood today wiith emergengy release. Called the dealership today and they said 800$ to fix lock if it's broken ouch!! I've only had this car 2 months and already this, MAF censor replaced, code 0410/1411 popping up, and second gear toast. Is this what I have to look forward to or is this just a coincidence that all this happened at once?????
Mostly just a coincidence.

I just replaced my MAF sensor a couple months ago, and it appears to have been the original in the car, but I had only owned the car for 6 months up to that point.

With second gear being toast, I would have to assume you have the 6 speed in your car, as I think that was a common failure for that transmission.

Start with the simple stuff before you start worrying about $800 dealer fees.

BC.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #11

Ignition Switch

I also understand that the ignition switch will create all kinds of electrical problems and it is cheap to fix and you can DIY. Worth checking.

PS I have a guy here in Orlando that has some doors his selling...maybe cheaper to buy them. Let me know and I can find out for you. JB
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #12

Got frustrated trying to figure out how to pop hood so just called a tow truck. They used a inflatable bladder and some funky stick tool to pop door open from handle. Once open car started right up and off to the dealership it went. Now waiting to hear what the damage is gonna be. Hopefully nothing major. Thanks for all the advice and this site is a godsend. It has been extremely helpfull and kept me sane with all the different problems I've had with the Boxster.