Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #1

2003 Boxster S, 65k miles, 16.5k....seems like a good deal...

Hey All,

I am very close in closing a deal on my first P-car. It's a 2003 Boxster S, 65k miles, triple black, has bose, 6 spd, windscreen, the seller bought the car 2 years ago as a CPO'd car. Seems like a good deal. Any thoughts....

mile2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #2

Get a PPI done then buy it if it comes back good.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #3

Even though i didn't get the S but i did get an 03 with similar mileage and the items I'd check - besides the PPI - would be:

* clutch: when was the last time the clutch was replaced?
* rear tire wear: this should be on the PPI and not cheap to replace these babies
* water pump: when was the last time it was changed? not sure if the PPI looks for leaks around the water pump, so might be worthwhile to ask.

that's all the biggies i can think of for now.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Thumbs up

If it comes back with a good report from the PPI, it sounds like a good deal. They had an 03 S at another dealer when I bought my 03 base with about the same miles as the one you are looking at. The 03 S was priced 5k more than the base but was not as well optioned( 5sp only,no heated seats or PSM) and the base already had the PPI done for me by the dealer that bought it used. He knew I was looking for one and wanted to make sure it was ok before he bought it and sold it to me. I have purchased cars from him for years and I can testify that he is honest and stands behind the cars he sells. I saw the Boxster when he brought it in and test drove it before he could get it cleaned up for showing, I bought it two days later. It has over 71k miles on it now and still runs fine.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile2424
I am very close in closing a deal on my first P-car.....
Is it local to you, or is it 2,000 miles away like that turquoise one you were lusting after in your previous post?

That does indeed sound like a "good deal" if - as others have pointed out - a PPI gives it a clean bill of health. I'm also willing to bet that there are at least a couple of other options on the car that you didn't list, but even if there aren't it still seems like an attractive price. I forget what I paid exactly for my 2003 "S" last summer (at the height of the season) with 50K-ish miles, but I think it was like $18K and - at the time - folks on this board were saying that it was an uncommonly good deal.
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #6

Maintenance records? I'd want to know oil change frequencies, for sure, as well as any other service history. PPIs just can't determine all faults, as many expensive defects are often missed.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Echo.....
PPI...
Service Records and local buy...
Carfax will help but may not tell the whole story...
Don't rush...

Good luck
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #8

PPI Insurance

I agree on PPI. It will help paint a better picture of the car. I purchased a 2000 S for $15,500 with 64,000 k on the clock. Car fax showed it was one owner and it verified the mileage. Mine was owned by a military officer, CarFax showed me everything I needed know...who else can buy a Boxster for $70K new, plus he was a PCA member. But I will tell you this...I knew when I purchased mine that the rotors needed to be replaced and the back tires also needed to have new ones. The 60K maintenance, I believe was never done except for an oil change.

I have just installed all new Balo rotors, Mintex pads, cleaned and checked the calipers, flushed the brake lines, installed all new filters and I am also replacing the tires tomorrow. Cost to date is about $1,050. Now the bad news is I have a leak on the right axle at the transfer case in which I will need to fix soon. Cost in parts is about $30...labor is about 10-15 hours. I here that this repair at dealer or Porsche repair center goes for $700 and up. Me, I have the tools, the skill and the time. But it was the car that I wanted and I knew when I bought it that there would be a higher maintenance for a Boxster 9 years old...did I tell you that the interior/exterior was in near mint condition and she purrs so nicely.

jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote