Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

Self-Inflicted Damage - Need Advice

While washing the Boxster, my mitt caught the end of the "B" on my script Boxster emblem and broke an inch long piece off. Ouch! I have the piece; what should I use to glue it back on? The broken piece is clean, and there is adhesive remaining on the trunk lid. Thanks for your advice.

Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #2

NBD, if you want it perfect, just get a brand new emblem. Use a long piece of dental floss to carefully work behind the broken emblem , you will find a mild sawing action to work easily. Then clean up the area, I used my clear coat safe polish, then you're ready to reapply the new unit...If you want to go on the cheap, superglue it.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #3

sounds like a perfect opp to either debadge it or change to a new emblem.

Removing the trunk crest

I'm considering removing my "Boxster" emblem and putting on a "986"
lizBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #4

Garage
Less is more, pull off the rest of the plastic badge and polish the paint. It will look great.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #5

I did the same thing but with a sponge. I used a dab of superglue and it has held perfectly. I can see the crack in the B if I look hard enough, but it does not bother me. Don't over due it with the glue as if you ever want to remove it, it will be a pita

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #6

you could debadge it totally. when I first got my boxster the former owner had debadged it.... i added the "986" emblem... personally, I think it looks good both ways... but I kind of like the emblem I added.... since "everyone" has teh "Boxster" logo, it's kind of cool to be "different" and eithe rjust remove all the badges or go with the 986 logo.

if you just want to put the stock logo back on, i'd buy a new one instead of glueing the old one.

the emblems are pretty cheap... $20-50 max.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #7

I love the way mine looks debadged. Much cleaner looking.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #8

if you de-badge and re-badge, don't forget to polish the area before you put it back on. It's the only opportunity you're going to get to polish out the water stains that accumulate in that area.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #9

If you're going to reapply, go get some 3M trim adhesive - either the paste or the double sided foam tape. Can be found in most auto part stores. Don't use glue.

An alternative, I did w/ mine, was make it magnetic. Makes for super easy washing as well as polishing/waxing. Completely remove your old badge (or get a new one) and take all the foam tape off the back side.

Then go to a craft stores (JoAnn's, Michael's, etc.) and get some magnetic self stick sheets (sold in a 4x6 pkt). Make a photo copy your badge face down - If you don't have access to legal sized copies you may have to split it into 2. Then, cut out the copy and glue it face up to the paper side of the magnetic sheets. Use an Exacto/artists knife and cut out the letters. Peel the tape and stick them into the recessed channel on the back side of the badge. Lightly sand or shave off any sharp corners on the magnet portion and apply to the trunk lid. Mine was tested to not move a smidge even above spoiler deployment speeds . When placing it on the deck lid, don't slide it around for fear of scratching the paint but rather lift it off and replace as needed

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #10

How about "Oxster"?????????????
Old 11-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #11

Garage
+1 on de-badging.
I damaged the B while drying the car and considered the 986 badge, but I am glad I left it clean.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #12

i would love to debadge mine, but i'm afraid that after 8 years the outline would remain. has anyone debadged after a long ( 5-6+ years ) time?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
i would love to debadge mine, but i'm afraid that after 8 years the outline would remain. has anyone debadged after a long ( 5-6+ years ) time?
I did on my '99 in 2006 - Arena Red Metallic (for reference a very dark color in case you are not familiar). There was a shadow at first of course which 95% buffed out the first time. Since then, as stated above, I've gone magnetic and can put it on or not. More importantly though, with subsequent polishing it's now 99% gone unless in just the right light at just the right angle. Now it's extremely tough to properly place the magnetic badge...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote