Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #1

Metal shavings in oil filter

I decided to cut apart the filter after the oil change tonight, and I found little metal flakes embedded in the filter paper. I know the point of a filter is to filter these types of wear items out of the oil, but are flakes this large normal? I have no reference point to judge these things. See my dirty fingernail for scale.

There aren't a ton, but I'd say there are at least couple dozen spread throughout the filter.

Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
pk2

Not pretty. have your oil anayzed and personally I wouldn't drive it till you get good news.

Regards, PK
Old 11-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #3

This is exactly why I haven't cut my filter apart ... If I found two small flakes, I would only get paranoid, but probably would do the oil analysis to be safe. Personally I think this is nothing. Just a random occurrence. Easy for me to say... Do the oil analysis.
Tucson, AZ
Kurt W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I'm just going to drive it and get an analysis done after the next change. I'd do one now, but I didn't plan on collecting the oil sample, so anything that I give them (that is sitting in the recycle jugs) won't be 100% representative.

Either way, everything that I've read/heard since actually looking into the matter indicates that it's totally normal. I'll cut open the Hyundai filter when I change the oil tonight and see how they compare.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #5

Fragments from abression

I have built plenty of high performance engines in the 60's and early 70's...that's big blocks. If the engine is properly oiled and not run to low on oil, then these particles are not from the cam bearings or crank shaft bearings. These parts are usually made from a soft billet material and when run low on oil they can get scratched from friction and cause engine failure. Your particles could be left over residue from the original casting that has finally made their way to the filter. The only place that gets a lot of friction comes from the pistons as they slide back & forth during combustion. And this one reason for filters...to clean the oil. JB

Now, I have not been into a Porche engine since the 70's when they were air cooled, but basically an engine is an engine. They all work the same way. I would have a Porsche dealer take a look just to make sure there is no real problem.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #6

My bet is that most Boxster owners, if they were to cut open their filters, would find something.