Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #1

Proceedure for engine removal

Does anyone know where I can find a proceedure to remove the engine? I know the bentley's are out there but I was wondering if some postings are out there somewhere...

dsnell1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #2

You seriously want to trust your engine to some guys blog post? Buy the book!

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #3

Pretty straight forward. I know this is not the answer you are looking for but.... Just get under there and and look. Not that tough. I had mine out in under 2 hours. Front motor mount, 2 tranny mounts, axle bolts, anti freeze lines, fuel lines and harness. And some other things..
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Fred Demara

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
Pretty straight forward. I know this is not the answer you are looking for but.... Just get under there and and look. Not that tough. I had mine out in under 2 hours. Front motor mount, 2 tranny mounts, axle bolts, anti freeze lines, fuel lines and harness. And some other things..
jaay, I have a feeling you're a much better mechanic than me...it's not a hard job, but it took me about 6 hours to get mine out....
Old 11-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #5

Jaay

I am going to take this out in my garage. What type of jacks, stands, special tools, clearance do I need to remove the engine? also do you know anyone that has a 3.2l for sale?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
Fred Demara

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnell1004
Jaay

I am going to take this out in my garage. What type of jacks, stands, special tools, clearance do I need to remove the engine? also do you know anyone that has a 3.2l for sale?
with the rear bumper off, you won't need much clearance. I used 4 regular jack stands, and placed extra stands (inches from the car) incase anything fell...I raised the stand to the highest level, and had no problems.

I put a piece of duct tape on everything I disconnected, and put a number it...so if I disconnected a wire, I would tape both sides, then write on the the tape #7..then, in a notebook, i would write #7, electrical front passengers side, top of engine. Took longer, but putting everything back together was much easier.

I used a floor trans jack to lower the engine. Best of luck!
Old 11-20-2009, 04:19 AM   #7

Take off the intake manifolds too that makes things real easy and solves a lot of clearence problems.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #8

So I began the engine removal process. Things I have finihed so far:

Rear bumper cover removed
exhaust removed
sway bar removed along with the other supports in the area
drained oil
drained three anti-freeze hoses
disconnected battery

I was looking around for the fuel lines and cant seem to find the connection points. I also need to figure out how to disconnect the linkages to the trans.Long way to go. Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to take the whole drive line out together since I will be replacing the clutch. Do you see any issues with that?