Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

Value of a 2003 Top Frame

How much would you pay for a used top frame from a 2003 Boxster?

I'm probably going to need to do some top maintenance in the next year or two. (At a minimum I'll need to replace the rear window.) My preference would be to have a top from an 03 or 04.

If I bought the used 03 frame, I could put a GAHH top on it. I'm assuming that combination would not have the engine access issue that GAHH tops on the 97-02 frames have. Does anyone know if the 03 and 04 GAHH tops have a larger rear window than the 97-02 tops?

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #2

I'm not sure of exact value. I've never seen a used frame for sale, but I'm guessing pretty expensive as I believe the frame is made of magnesium. Maybe a couple grand?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I paid $700 for a complete 03 top frame and soft top with glass window. Came from a wreck, but the top was totally undamaged.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I paid $700 for a complete 03 top frame and soft top with glass window. Came from a wreck, but the top was totally undamaged.
That's the kind of deal I'm looking for. It sounds like you were very fortunate.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 11-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #5

That does sound like a great deal especially for both the frame and top. Kevin, to answer your question about the window size, the 97-02 plastic rear windows are considerably bigger than the glass ones found in both the GAHH tops and the factory 03-04 tops.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
That's the kind of deal I'm looking for. It sounds like you were very fortunate.
Thanks. You should be able to source one from a dismantler for less than $1k, as I have a friend who found one for around $900 shipped after I got mine, although I'm not sure if some of these places are wisening up now that they know more people are looking to retrofit them to their pre-2003s.

The window is smaller, but still large enough, and I don't even notice it being smaller from the driver's perspective. The advantages (no longer worrying about cracking plastic window, no longer having to clean/polish the plastic, having a heated rear window, etc), more than make up for the slightly smaller window size, in my opinion. I love it, and it's probably my favorite mod to my car cause I no longer have to watch how my window is folding, or do the chop as I put the top down.

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 11-13-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #7

How hard is it to replace the frame mechanism. I have also toyed with the idea of getting one for my 2000 base, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
How hard is it to replace the frame mechanism. I have also toyed with the idea of getting one for my 2000 base, thanks,

Ed

It's very easy. It is a plug and play bolt in, and no modifications are needed if you are putting an 03 or 04 top frame into a 00, 01, or 02 model year. There's only 3 bolts on each side of the frame that hold the top frame to the car. You, of course, also need to unbolt the pushrods that drive the top up and down when you operate it, but that's only one bolt on each side too.

Here is a full DIY walk thru (by the way, the picture of the white car in the article has an aftermarket GAHH top installed, as we wanted to show the difference in window size between the GAHH and OEM factory top.):
http://www.google.com/gwt/x?ei=O0z9SoO1J5SpoAepwoGjAQ&source=pagecreator&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmike.focke.googlepages.com/installinga%2703-%2704glasstopandframeona%2797&wsc=pr&wsi=54d22947ee6e732d

What's cool about it also is that it updates the look of your car. Check out my 01 model next to the Orange 08 special edition to my right. No ratty plastic window.

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 11-13-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #9

I paid $900 shipped for my '04 top and installed it by myself in around an hour. I have to agree, it's probably my favorite mod to date. I didn't unbolt the pushrods, I just popped the plastic ball connectors off the old top and popped them back on to the new top.

I believe that the factory glass top rear windows are larger than the GAHH rear windows, but not by much. It's also cool that at the bottom of the factory window it says "PORSCHE".

With the large surge in folks converting their boxsters to spec racers, there should be more of the '03 - '04 tops coming available in the near future. That's where mine came from. A guy converting his low mileage '04 550 special edition to a full time track car. I don't think I would've done that to a 550 special edition, but it was his car. I was able to pick up a few other choice items from him at bargain prices. I have seen the dismantlers getting $1,500 to $2,000 for these tops, so some detective work is in order to locate a true bargain.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #10

A SoCal dismantler quoted me $2000 for the entire top including drive; they wouldn't sell only parts of it.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
A SoCal dismantler quoted me $2000 for the entire top including drive; they wouldn't sell only parts of it.
Go to car-part.com, type in the model year (2003), choose "Boxster", type in "Roof", and then when it asks you what part of the roof, choose "soft top". This site will survey several dismantlers throughout the country and if they have the part, it will list it, and also the damage code (if any damage to the part).

I just did a search, and it looks like there's one dismantler in Texas that has one undamaged for $950. Check with them if it is a complete top with the frame, and if so, it's not a bad deal. Enjoy.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #12

Quote:
I'm not sure if some of these places are wisening up now that they know more people are looking to retrofit them to their pre-2003s.

They have. I haven't been able to find any dismantler who will take less than $2k. Some have gotten lucky, by finding one locally that just got wrecked, but by the time the wreck gets to a major dismantler, they know the value of these and want their money.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #13

Quote:
I just did a search, and it looks like there's one dismantler in Texas that has one undamaged for $950. Check with them if it is a complete top with the frame, and if so, it's not a bad deal. Enjoy.

That one has been sold.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #14

Well with threads like these, the values are going to go up. Wish I was the seller rather than the buyer.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote