Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 08:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrankandbeanz
have you done the rear speaker upgrade yet? I heard it isnt a midrange upgrade, its more like a tweeter or a bass upgrade. I was wondering, if anyone upgraded the rear speakers to sound like midrange speakers
It definately isn't a bass upgrade. The speakers are only about 2.5 inches accross so they are more like large tweeters with some mid-range imaging.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #22

I just finished the rear speaker upgrade last week. It helps, but the stereo in my '95 Firebird is still better. And since I never once actually used those cubby holes to store anything, at least I am getting more usage out of that space.

I only did the rears and the side markers. Does that mean I only got 5 hp? However, the iPod kit added at least 5, so Im cool.

Last edited by QporscheQ; 03-13-2005 at 08:55 AM.
QporscheQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:44 AM   #23

I hear you. If the seats weren't blocking the speakers it would probably help. Phrank, if you want more midrange and lowend punch I believe you could put the bose speaker shelf back there as well. I saw one slighty used example for about 500 bucks on ebay. Make sure you are running a decent amp though or it won't sound good. I don't think the base stereo system uses an amp...it relies on the head unit for power. The bose system is actually one large unit that acts as the speaker box for the 2 little 5" woofers and their are the 2 other speakers residing behind your head similar to the regular upgrade kit . They kick susprisingly hard for lil 5" speakers, but if you want lots of bass you may need something bigger.

Last edited by Adam; 03-13-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #24

HI guys,

congrats on all those who have gone amberless, your rides are smoking right now. Ive been thinking of going amberless on my 01 'S' but am a little confused with everything so pls bear with me. I was planning on getting the litronics from the porsche dealer here and do the amber rear lights and side indicators. The porsche dealer here on this Island is well known for their high part prices. I got a quote and the litronics after a discount (before the discount the litronics are about US$2500) were comparable to ebay but the rear lights come out to almost US$250 EXCLUDING labour. I personally thought it was just the rear covers but the tech guy told me it is the whole rear light unit thus the high cost. Anyone can advice on that? Anyone done a full litronic conversion 2gether with amber rear and side lights, how much did u pay? If I could get the parts from the states at a much cheaper rate I'll be inclined to ship in the parts and get one of the independant mechanics to fix it for me. Advice anyone?
Hlee8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:50 PM   #25

installing teh rear lights can be done with one socket wrench. Its just unscrewing four bolts, pushing out the old lights, unclipping the wiring harness and then plugging in the new lights. tighten the four bolts and your done. Five minutes for each side. I thik maybe they meant $250 labor for wiring the Litronics up front?

I got rid of the amber head lights without going to litronics. I bought a used set of Halogen lights from a 2002 996. I paid $500 which was alllot for cosmetics but I know I can resell the lights for close to what I paid. So I guess I'm renting these until upgrade to full Litronics.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:54 PM   #26

google "Sun Coast Porsche". they have everything what you just described. for what you want i think it should run about $1300.00 for litronics, $169.00 for clear tail lights, $60.00 for clear side markers. (all in pairs). i dont know about what the international shipping cost maybe. and find out if your country is going to charge you duty fees. if they do, OUCH!!!, customs will take one look at boxes that says "Porsche" and have a field day.
kajita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to phrankandbeanz
If you are doing a litronic retrofit(pretty sure that is what you are doing), you can just slide the original amber front headlights out and just insert the litronic ones in. If you don't do the wiring, all you are losing is the ability for the litronic lights to rotate a few degrees up when you turn on your highbeams. That feature wasn't importnat to me, so I just plugged and played without doing any wiring. It is great. The side markers, is a simple screw inside the wheelwell. Done in 15 minutes. The rear like someone previously stated can be done in another 15min. The plug and play can be done in 5 minutes.

Your dealer is ripping you off. Go online or call brandywine porsche yourself and get the litronics for 1200 and just plug it in yourself. I believe the rear clears are like 200 from the brandywine but dont quote me on it. Also the smoked side markers are like another $30. You are more then capable of doing all the installs yourself.
phrankandbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:29 AM   #28

really??? the Litronics are usable at night without any wiring?
Wow, I wish I had known this before I bough the clear halogens for $500.
I thought the lights plus labor would have cost approx $1400-$1500 so I decide to put it off until I did all my other upgrades (wheels,skirting,Hartop).

did you buy the standard Litronic lights or did the retrofit kit you didn't wire up also come with it?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:28 AM   #29

I bought the litronic lights from a 99 carrera off a fellow forum member on 6speedonline. It came with no wires or anything, all I basically did was pop my old headlights out and put the new headlights in. Turned them on, everything worked fine. And yes, it works at night. All the features work.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #30

no wiring involved
Old 03-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #31

how much of an improvement did you notice? I feel like I'm always trying to see 50 yars further down the road than my lights will allow. This is really starting to annoy me, particularly on desolate stretches of road where the lighting is bad and I have to drive slower. (well I guess that an unitended benefit )
Old 03-15-2005, 10:56 AM   #32

I saw a pretty noticeable improvement over the halogen ones. However, I did raise the litroncs up a little bit to improve visabilty but not enough to blind the oncoming driver and flash me. I raised the litronics up and had my brother drive my car while I drove in front of the car to see if it was too high and I had him drive towards me to see if it will getin people eyeS. You wil definitely see a improvement in visability. I would even suggest you to our local stealership and drive a 986 or even a 987 with litronics to see the difference and determine whether or not the lights are worth it to you.