Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #1

Boxster from out of town

My navi equipped car is coming to Baltimore/Washington from upstate New York. I have never owned a car with navigation and am curious about the data required to make the navi work.

On my boat, I purchased a disc which included local maps/charts. Do I need to do the same for the car?

Thanks

RavenFan_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #2
Lux

I'm not exactly sure how the Porsche nav works, but most newer nav systems use a DVD disc which contains the entire US (for us folks in America...don't know how Europe is) along with hotel, points of interest, eating establishments, etc. Older navs used a gang of CD discs.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:29 PM   #3

Actually you can save a bunch of cash by going to radio shack and buying some rabbit ears.

Next, you'll need a couple of large pieces of aluminum foil... :dance: :dance: :dance:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:53 PM   #4

What navigation system do you have? Is it a factory one on a Boxster or something else like aftermarket.

The navi system should've come with the CD's or DVD's you need for use in the US. Depending on how old it is there are updates that you could probably purchase from the manufacturer.

I have the traffic pro, and it came with 2 cd's one for east coast and one for west coast. my navi system will ask for the cd when it needs it while you are driving or i can just keep it in the deck.

Good Luck,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:59 PM   #5

Ahhhh

Rabbit ears comment is still puzzling me.

It is an 01 S with factory Nav. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #6

Many NAV systems work off GPS and not DVD... rabbit ears and foil for antennae. Get it now?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 AM   #7

Navigation systems get their location (in longitude/latitude) from GPS. The DVD's or CD's contain the map information. RavenFan_94, I think you and I have the same Navi systems, because it our cars do not have MOST bus technology.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=00004490078&Category_Code=POTEBXCM

I have the cd's that came with it. They are a bit out of date, but still work great.

Have a good trip.

Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Many NAV systems work off GPS and not DVD... rabbit ears and foil for antennae. Get it now?

Its CD based.

Not sure of the changeover dates in the US from PCM1 to PCM2 (Porsche satnav)

Sounds like you don't have the PCM mapping CDs - check ebay or outlest such as Suncoast Porsche. There may also be issues with the version number, within generations of PCM (some were 8 bit, others 16 bit i believe ). I'm sure toolpants will be along shortly to clarify

Once you have the trip entered, you should be able to remove the CD. This is OK as long as you don't deviate significantly from the route chosen, as the route only holds alternative roads close to the original route. Go outside the 'buffer' area and the sat nav will be lost until you reinsert the mapping CD to give it full understanding of your location and alternative routes.
UKBXSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #9

Thanks for the info.

Great answers, thanks.